sick cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Sue

sick cactus

Post by Sue »

Hi, please can you help?
I have a cowboy cactus that I've had for over 10 years and he has been the picture of health. He is an indoor plant in London. Recently I have noticed a few changes and have searched the web, but don't feel confident about what the actual problem is and how to address it.
1) the base has brown ring marks, is this normal?
2)noticed today that one of the arms has turned brown and is slightly softer - soft carrot not squidgy tomato! Do I remove? Or can it be resolved
Tried to attach photos but it is saying file too big.
Thanks so much in advance.
Sue
hegar

Re: sick cactus

Post by hegar »

What you described could be a rot, which oftentimes causes the death of a plant, because it is an internal problem. It may also be something else. That is why it would be nice to have a picture or two, which do show the plant.

Harald
Sue

Post by Sue »

I will try and reduce the file size tomorrow and post some pictures. Thanks, sue
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Sue,
I am not technically gifted and also did have problems posting my images directly here on the blog. I had used Photo Bucket before. However, now I attach digital images directly, following my messages on my blog. All you need to do is to click on the word "Attachments" right underneath the message block.
I did have more of a problem with the downsizing of the images. I had downloaded the free photo software called "Gimp 2". When trying to reduce the image size, it switched to another format, which was not recognized and accepted by CactiGuide. So, after placing the cursor on the word "Image", and clicking on "Scale Image", I picked for image size the width of 600 pixels. That will automatically change the other dimension to 450 pixels.
Then click on "Scale" and the image will show up quite a bit smaller. Then go to "File" and click on "Export As" and if JPG or jpeg is not shown at the end of the file name, there is a box at the lower right hand, which allows you to pick JPG. You need to click on that and all future images will remain or be changed to that format. Next click on "Export" and then on "Replace". A window will show up indicating the quality of the image. For best quality, move the lever to 100. Click on "Export" and then either on "Discard Changes", if you do not want to keep the original image (i.e. if you used a copy) or "Save As", which allows you to give the reduced image a new name and keep the original image intact.
I usually select the images I want to post, make copies of them and then go through the process of reducing their size, so they will be accepted by CactiGuide. Then I sign on, enter my text and then import the reduced images.
Well, keep in mind, that what I described above is only valid when using the GIMP 2 software. Most likely things are a little different when utilizing another photo software.

Harald
Sue

Post by Sue »

rsz_wp_20170807_12_02_28_pro.jpg
rsz_wp_20170807_12_02_28_pro.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 713 times
rsz_wp_20170807_12_02_28_pro.jpg
rsz_wp_20170807_12_02_28_pro.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Attachments
rsz_wp_20170807_12_03_07_pro.jpg
rsz_wp_20170807_12_03_07_pro.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Sue