Bunny ear cactus with skinny offshoots

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
falcon

Bunny ear cactus with skinny offshoots

Post by falcon »

Hi,

Cactus history: I've had this cactus for about five years, it was outside for a few weeks about two years ago and got infested with insects (which are now gone and the cactus has been doing great since then). Other than those few weeks outdoors, it has been an inside cactus. During the summer I water it every two weeks and in the winter I water it once a month (northern United States). I try my best to put it next to a window every day but it's difficult to find a place where my cats won't knock it over or try to eat it. Three weeks ago I fertilized it for the first time ever with miracle grow liquid cacti/succulent food and I think (?) it responded well to it. SO... Since the beginning of spring 2017 the cactus has been growing MANY tall, thin shoots that are not becoming cactus pads, just skinny stems. I'm not sure what I'm missing, care wise, but they look green and not shriveled so I'd hate to cut off the skinny stems for any reason in fear of killing my beautiful cactus. I'd appreciate any suggestions and care tips, thanks!! 8)
20170720_222407-500x570.jpg
20170720_222407-500x570.jpg (93.96 KiB) Viewed 9177 times
Screenshot_20170805-170214-360x640.png
Screenshot_20170805-170214-360x640.png (392.82 KiB) Viewed 9177 times
toadstar

Re: Bunny ear cactus with skinny offshoots

Post by toadstar »

That is etiolation caused by a lack of light. If the window is too dim then consider placing the cactus back outside where it can get several hours of direct sunlight each day during the summer.

http://cactiguide.com/cactipests/#etiolate
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

falcon wrote:Hi,

Cactus history: I've had this cactus for about five years, it was outside for a few weeks about two years ago and got infested with insects (which are now gone and the cactus has been doing great since then). Other than those few weeks outdoors, it has been an inside cactus. During the summer I water it every two weeks and in the winter I water it once a month (northern United States). I try my best to put it next to a window every day but it's difficult to find a place where my cats won't knock it over or try to eat it. Three weeks ago I fertilized it for the first time ever with miracle grow liquid cacti/succulent food and I think (?) it responded well to it. SO... Since the beginning of spring 2017 the cactus has been growing MANY tall, thin shoots that are not becoming cactus pads, just skinny stems. I'm not sure what I'm missing, care wise, but they look green and not shriveled so I'd hate to cut off the skinny stems for any reason in fear of killing my beautiful cactus. I'd appreciate any suggestions and care tips, thanks!! 8)

20170720_222407-500x570.jpg

Screenshot_20170805-170214-360x640.png
This is an opuntia microdasys pallida and It's in need of so much more light. If that can't be done you can put a 40w cfl over it.
I grow mine in full sun and they almost triple in size every year. Yours looks very small for 5+ years old.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can prune off those skinny shoots and it won't hurt the plant at all. They will never be anything but skinny shoots, pruning is what I recommend.
Spence :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

I concur with what my co-posters had to say. Your cactus needs much more light, in order to grow normally. I too would cut the "antennae" off and either use a grow light or transfer the plant to a much brighter location.

Harald