Water distressed plants

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Water distressed plants

Post by ElieEstephane »

Following up on an earlier post, some of plants (only succulents not cacti) are not taking up water after being repotted. My mix is roughly 70% crushed rocks and 20-30% compost. 100+ cacti are loving this mix and growing quite well. However some succulents are being fussy. I do know for fact that the roots are intact with no pest infestations. I have a 2 step plan in my head and i thought i'd run it by you first.
1. Remove gritty free draing soil and soak roots in water for 30 minutes. I use the soaking step for my regular plants when repotting them. This will hopefully let the sick plants absorb some water and look plump.
2. Repot in less gritty mix. Maybe 50% rocks and 50% soil+compost+sand
What do you guys think?
P.S: repotting was over a month ago and no roots were damaged or cut off so they should have been fine by now. Plus the weather is perfect along with sun exposure.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Wise guy

Re: Water distressed plants

Post by Wise guy »

Being in a hot, arid climate, you may be right. It could be that there is not a large enough volume of water available for these specific succulents. However, if the roots are not functioning well, increasing the wetness of the soil could lead to rot. Another option could be to temporarily increase the humidity by regular misting so that the plants can recover without losing too much moisture, and grow additional roots without rotting. good luck, hope you can save them. All the best, Mike.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Wise guy wrote:Being in a hot, arid climate, you may be right. It could be that there is not a large enough volume of water available for these specific succulents. However, if the roots are not functioning well, increasing the wetness of the soil could lead to rot. Another option could be to temporarily increase the humidity by regular misting so that the plants can recover without losing too much moisture, and grow additional roots without rotting. good luck, hope you can save them. All the best, Mike.
Thanks mike!
I wasn't suggesting watering more. I want to uproot the plants and soak them in water for a certain amount of time, let them dry and then repot in a less gritty mix.
But i will definitely try misting first!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Wise guy

Post by Wise guy »

Pleasure, what I actually meant, is that by altering the soil mix, even with your usual watering, it may stay wet for much longer before drying out. You could adjust your watering to suit, naturally. Obviously, the damper soil could suit these specific plants. This is what makes working with plants interesting.
All the best, Mike