What is this?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
daffe

What is this?

Post by daffe »

Hi, what in the h*** is this? It looks strange.

daffe

Re: What is this?

Post by daffe »

Could it be roots?
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, that certainly is something a little unusual. I do not know, why a cactus would form aerial roots like an orchid. I did have something similar growing out of a cactus and may even still have a digital image or two. At that time I assumed, that my plant was parasitized by another plant.
For example the mistletoe parasites (Phoradendron, Viscum, and the dwarf mistletoes) produce a sticky seed, which adheres to the host plant.
The seed will germinate and grow a root from a haustorium into the host plant.
I do not know, whether or not cacti do get parasitized by these kinds of plants.
On the other hand, it is perfectly normal, for areoles of a cactus to produce roots. I just wonder, what could have triggered that kind of growth, perhaps an injury to the areole?
I shall keep an eye on your thread. Perhaps somebody who reads it and looks at your image will have a good suggestion about what this odd growth is and whether or not you should be doing something about it.

Harald
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

Trichocereus bridgesii do this often.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
daffe

Post by daffe »

jfabiao wrote:Trichocereus bridgesii do this often.
ok, but should i do something or just let them grow? Its 1-1,5" down to the soil from where they grow out.
daffe

Post by daffe »

This cacti is in a window and i forgot to turn it so it has been in the same direction for 2-3 months and they grow out where its shadow, i see that thats may be the "problem". But since its normal that they do that its ok.
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

They will either grow all the way down to the soil and behave like roots from then on, or they will stop growing. You could try to cut them flush with the stem, but that would leave an unsightly scar and would probably be no improvement over the present situation. It's really up to you. Maybe the plant "felt" that it was lying on the ground and decided to root there because of the lack of light you mention? I wouldn't cut (I haven't when it happened to me), it would be a potential invitation for foreign pathogens.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Is it root bound? Plants are more prone to produce air roots if they lack space for new root growth in the soil.
Spence :mrgreen:
daffe

Post by daffe »

It was not root bound, i did give it a new pot and its healty and fine, it looks crazy but thats ok :-)