Sick (now dead) lithops royal flush - what happened?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
debegray

Sick (now dead) lithops royal flush - what happened?

Post by debegray »

Greetings,

I bought this lithops Royal Flush at the UC Botanical Gardens plant sale a few weeks ago. I didn't water it, as what I had read indicated it wasn't the right time of the year. I bought several other lithops at the same time, and they're doing fine.

As you can see, it's not only shriveled, but it seems to have some white fuzz in the center. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I assume it's what killed the plant, since it looks even worse now, two weeks later.

TIA
Attachments
lithos plum royal.jpg
lithos plum royal.jpg (103.07 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Aiko

Re: Sick (now dead) lithops royal flush - what happened?

Post by Aiko »

Not a Lithops, but a Pleiospilos nelii 'Royal Flush' (or 'Rubra'). Although could still be a regular Pleiospilos nelii that got a lot of sunlight.

I recognise the look, so I can confirm this one is a goner. No advice from me on taking care of this plant, as I seem to be incapable of growing it myself... I believe this plant has very sensitive roots, and can easily rot when the roots are disturbed (repotting) or if the roots gets too moist (watering regime). The combination of the two is really killing them from my experience.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aiko wrote:I believe this plant has very sensitive roots, and can easily rot when the roots are disturbed (repotting) or if the roots gets too moist (watering regime). The combination of the two is really killing them from my experience.
So it would be a good idea to sow they in their definitive pot?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Any that I haven't sown myself (and are still in their original pots in which they were sown) have died. So really don't take my advice meant negative, positive or neutral, regarding this species.
hegar

Post by hegar »

The white fluffy stuff on your succulent is most likely a hyphomycete fungus. I am not sure, if the infection started from the root and went upwards, or if it developed in the crack on top of the plant.

Harald
debegray

Post by debegray »

Sadly, it is now happening to another Pleiospilos nelii that I bought at the same sale. I didn't water either of them, and had them outside in partial sun. So I guess the possibility of there being a fungus is strong.

These seem to be doing fairly well, although when I bought them, there were three. I have these in full sun.
0722171326_HDR.jpg
0722171326_HDR.jpg (38.2 KiB) Viewed 1293 times