I am not sure what this is

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Emilek

I am not sure what this is

Post by Emilek »

Hi
I am a bit new to cacti but I have this cactus that is probably 10 years old. It is still tiny because it basically has been completely neglected for it's entire lifespan. Recently I have noticed color changes and I am worried that the cactus might be sick.
P.s. does anybody know the ID of this cactus?

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG (27.28 KiB) Viewed 649 times
hegar

Re: I am not sure what this is

Post by hegar »

I am not sure, what genus your cactus might belong to. My guess would be, that it is a Mammillaria sp.. You mention, that you noticed a color change on your plant. Except for the tubercles near the top of your cactus, I cannot even see any color except whitish fuzz around each areole.
Even if your plant is healthy, it is high time to repot it. Place it into a pot that leaves about 1/2 to one inch of growing medium around the plant. Most likely, somebody who grows cacti in pots will be giving you better advice. Once the plant is out of the pot, examine the roots carefully for discoloration and dead roots. If the root system is still functional, replace the soil (growing medium) with a mineral-based mixture. It should be well draining and not contain a lot of organic matter. You can check out some good "soil mixes" by clicking on the tab named "Growing Help".
If your plant does have a rot, which could be the reason for a noticeable discoloration, there is probably not much you can do to save the plant at this time. Check, if the body is soft or firm. If the latter is the case, your cactus should be fine.

Harald
jfabiao

Re: I am not sure what this is

Post by jfabiao »

From a distance (the picture is very small) it seems to be a Mammillaria nivosa growing out of a bad red spider mite attack.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/