Rot on cactus cuttings?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
treefingers

Rot on cactus cuttings?

Post by treefingers »

I recently discovered that my favorite cactus developed root rot at the base -- there were originally 3 cacti in one pot. I then noticed that all 3 of the cacti in the pot were infected at various stages (mushy bases and black creeping up the sides) so I removed all of them from the soil and, with consultation from an expert, cut the rot off of all three.
This is what it looked like when I initially spotted the root rot: https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=50913

For the cuts I sterilized a very sharp knife with isopropyl alcohol and cut 3 inches above the rot for each arm then sprinkled with Sulphur powder. I’m not sure if I was too late in performing this emergency surgery, but I noticed ~4-5 days afterwards that the cuts on all 3 had a black ring around the perimeter of each base then I noticed the black appeared to be slowly spreading up the stems, so upon further consultation, I was told to cut again, and much higher.
First cut: https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=50914

This is what one of the current cuts looks like after two days of being dried out: https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... w&id=50915. Not sure if it's visible but there is a dark-ish ring around the entire perimeter of the cactus -- this is on all 3 stems.
Are the darkened rings around the cuts normal, or should I assume the rot has spread further than imagined and cut it again? Also, if cut again, how long should I wait until it can be re-potted? Should I wait until I see signs of root regrowth? Is it bad to leave this cactus lying on its side for too long? I feel in over my head here so any advice is welcome.
Attachments
Cactus rot-1
Cactus rot-1
cactus.jpg (126.12 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
Rotted cutting
Rotted cutting
IMG_1938.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
Unsure
Unsure
IMG_1939.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
Last edited by treefingers on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hegar

Re: Rot on cactus cuttings?

Post by hegar »

Looking at the images taken after surgery, I cannot see anything wrong with your plant. The cut seems to have healed fine. A slight discoloration right at the edge of the cut is a physiologically normal occurrence. With the size of plant you do have, you can keep the stem out of the soil for a while, in order to see, if there is still a rot present. It is possible, that the microorganism that caused the rot had managed to spread further into the plant than what the discolored tissue would indicate. Therefor it was a good decision to cut the stem well above the discolored part.
Most of the time, these larger, columnar cacti will easily form roots. One stem of Pachycereus marginatus, which I kept in my office for training purposes, even started to form little knobby roots while standing upright on a table top.
To speed root growth, you could apply a little rooting hormone to the cut end. This substance can be purchased at garden centers, nurseries, etc.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. While it's laying on its side you should turn it frequently so it doesn't bend or grow roots out of the side that's down.
Spence :mrgreen:
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Thank you for this response, it's very helpful. I guess it will just take time for it to root, provided the rot is still not present. I will get some rooting hormone for the next step.
hegar wrote:Looking at the images taken after surgery, I cannot see anything wrong with your plant. The cut seems to have healed fine. A slight discoloration right at the edge of the cut is a physiologically normal occurrence. With the size of plant you do have, you can keep the stem out of the soil for a while, in order to see, if there is still a rot present. It is possible, that the microorganism that caused the rot had managed to spread further into the plant than what the discolored tissue would indicate. Therefor it was a good decision to cut the stem well above the discolored part.
Most of the time, these larger, columnar cacti will easily form roots. One stem of Pachycereus marginatus, which I kept in my office for training purposes, even started to form little knobby roots while standing upright on a table top.
To speed root growth, you could apply a little rooting hormone to the cut end. This substance can be purchased at garden centers, nurseries, etc.

Harald
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Smart; thank you for this tip!
greenknight wrote:Agreed. While it's laying on its side you should turn it frequently so it doesn't bend or grow roots out of the side that's down.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

May i ask about the species?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

A cereus but I am not sure about the species. It looks like a cereus jamacaru or cereus uruguayanus but I am not 100% certain. Anyone?
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

A cereus but I am not sure about the species. It looks like a cereus jamacaru or cereus uruguayanus but I am not 100% certain. Anyone?
elieestephane wrote:May i ask about the species?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

treefingers wrote:A cereus but I am not sure about the species. It looks like a cereus jamacaru or cereus uruguayanus but I am not 100% certain. Anyone?
Thank you! At least that narrows it down.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: