Dried spots on succulent leaves + fading color

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
celenac

Dried spots on succulent leaves + fading color

Post by celenac »

It's been a couple of weeks since I've gotten this succulent. On the first day, it was very green and healthy-looking, but I've noticed that the vibrant green color has faded into a yellow-green. Also just a few days ago, these dried spots were forming on the leaves. I water maybe about once a week and make sure that the soil is completely dry before I give it maybe about a teaspoon of water. I make sure not to over water, because it is potted in a mason jar. I let it sit by the window, and sometimes it gets shined directly by the sunlight. Can someone please help identify what these dried spots are supposed to mean? Thanks

Pictures:
When I first got it
A few weeks later

Dried spots
Dried spots
toadstar

Re: Dried spots on succulent leaves + fading color

Post by toadstar »

It looks somewhat like mineral spots from hard water getting splashed on the leaves. Regardless, you'll have to find pot with drainage holes. A mason jar won't be very good for it in the long run.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. The undrained pot is especially bad if you're watering with hard water,and worse if you fertilize - mineral salts will quickly build up in the soil if they're not flushed through, the plant will go into decline and slowly die. if you used distilled water you might get away with it for a long time, but a pot with drain holes would be better.

Also, the color doesn't look faded to me, more like it's picked up a touch of red from the direct sun. Perfectly healthy.
Spence :mrgreen:
celenac

Post by celenac »

Alright thank you! I will get a pot with drainage holes for the plant.