etiolated prickly pear advice

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
K3370n

etiolated prickly pear advice

Post by K3370n »

So I just found out its a prickly pear. Don't know why I waited 6 years to get into it. I guess curiosity finally outweighed the expectation of eventual death. It grows fast and it won't die, so I better get my act together. Plus it's kind of special because I planted this seed the year my daughter was born.

I am pretty novice with cacti and succulents.... Just got my green thumb 3 years ago with my garden, and my home is so dry in AK with a furnace that most houseplants seem to not fare well. So I have gravitated towards plants that like dry environments, but I am lacking light with no south facing windows. I do have one grow light I am sticking this guy under today though. its a 150 watt hps.

Anyway. What should I do with this thing? Should I let it fall over? Should I take a cutting? New pot? Because what I am doing now isn't sustainable, and its an eyesore. The way it was growing initially I thought it was going to be one of those classic saguaro looking guys so I trained it up. Which is turning out to be a mistake ha. I'm just afraid of it breaking when it starts to lean and fall over so I have kept it upright.

I thought that the paddle was the result of overwatering, so I cut way back on water since the paddle, which I think is 2 years old now.
Attachments
220170309_174408.jpg
220170309_174408.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
greenknight

Re: etiolated prickly pear advice

Post by greenknight »

A 150w hps might be enough.

A little pruning is in order. I'd cut at the narrow point by the second wire from the top, everything above that is too thin to support the weight of new growth. It should grow a lot more "paddles" (commonly called pads, technically cladodes). Some Opuntias develop a definite trunk, and this may be one of those - just have to see how it grows in better light. It may be a tree-like species, or a low-growing type that's abnormally elongated from etiolation.

You can grow cuttings from the parts you cut off, it's very easy. In nature, pads often get knocked off, laying on the ground they grow roots on the underside and send up a shoot which grows into a new plant, while the original pad eventually shrivels up. You could do the same with sections of the stem that you prune off, which will produce natural-shaped starts, or stand them upright to root, either will work. Just let the cuts heal before you plant them, and don't water until roots emerge.
Spence :mrgreen:
K3370n

Post by K3370n »

Fantastic, Thank You.

I have a couple succulents that we accidentally found out how easy it is to propagate. My daughter and I bought a low flower shaped succulent together, and a few weeks later while watering it, she accidentally knocked it off the counter. The top broke off and she burst into hysterical tears. But I had seen something on Pintrest about the succulent 'leaves,' just popping them off and waiting for a new plant. So now we have 4 succulents from the one, as two of the leaves broke off along with the top. The base also grew a new top. Just incredible.

So the cactus sounds similar in process, except I won't knock it off the counter. I feel a new excitement for this plant now that I know what it is and what to do.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, it's very similar, you should have no problems - the cactus cuttings are even easier. You can make as many of them as you want.
K3370n

Post by K3370n »

I hope I can ask a follow up question. I have pruned it... and decided to let the original plant just lay over after looking at a few videos. Gonna try to get something normal to grow from the long skinny top that I cut.

But I'm thinking long term here. It looks like these things get big. Like at some point it would need to be outside in a desert lol. I live in Alaska, so there is no hope of this thing ever being planted outside. Short of constructing a special cacti greenhouse, which is something I'd actually consider..... But this isn't a typical house-cactus choice is it? if there is such thing as a house cactus.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Don't know what the species is, or how big it will get - once you get some normal growth you'll have a better chance of identifying it. It does seem to be a fairly large species. They can be kept in bounds with pruning, or you can periodically start over from a cutting - some people grow Brasiliopuntia brasiliensis as a house plant, and it grows into a 30' tree.

You likely could eat the prunings, too - google "nopales".
hegar

Post by hegar »

An etiolated cactus will just "naturally" grow taller than a cactus that receives adequate light. Those plants are more compact. Also, the nutrient and moisture content of your soil (growing medium) does have an impact on your plant growth.
Just keep in mind. An Opuntia (prickly pear) cactus is a desert plant, which means it requires a lot of light, little water and a mineral growing medium with good drainage. I do fertilize all my cacti, which are growing in native soil here in the Chihuahuan Desert. However I do water sparingly and fertilize with a water soluble Miracle Grow fertilizer with a low N, and a high P, and K value. I do the fertilizing only during the growing season and do not apply more than 1/2 or 1/3 of the dosage listed on the package.

Harald
K3370n

Post by K3370n »

20180122_202505-1224x1632.jpg
20180122_202505-1224x1632.jpg (76.6 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Just wanted to post an update picture.
It likes my 150 watt HPS light much better. I just lost one pad during a rearranging with my lights, but it looks like everything else is ok.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks good, I'd say that light is sufficient.