Need help figuring out if my Blue Myrtle is going to be ok!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Marzhattan

Need help figuring out if my Blue Myrtle is going to be ok!

Post by Marzhattan »

Crossing my fingers this isnt bad.
Crossing my fingers this isnt bad.
cacti2.JPG (36.71 KiB) Viewed 616 times
cacti4.JPG
cacti4.JPG (45.26 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Wondering if I can cut the arm and replant it as a seedling.
Wondering if I can cut the arm and replant it as a seedling.
cacti5.JPG (36.02 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Hello cacti lovers,
I was just given this beauty as a gift and I am not sure if it is going to survive. The new growth seems to be slightly thinner than the upper part and I don't know why that might be (could it be improper care?). Also it has a majority of the spots shown in the images and I'm not sure if that is bruising or something worse. Is there a way I can replant the baby arm? It is weighing down because the new growth is so much thinner.

Thank you guys!
greenknight

Re: Need help figuring out if my Blue Myrtle is going to be ok!

Post by greenknight »

New growth that's thinner is a sign it wasn't getting enough sun. It's not too bad, though, and the angle the branch is growing at is normal. Take a look at the gallery - http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... ometrizans

The white bumps are worrisome, could you get a closeup? Possibly scale insects - http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#scale

You could easily grow the branch as a cutting, but there's probably no need to. Nothing wrong with the way it's growing, and there's no worry that it can't support the weight - they have an incredibly strong structure, people who've had to prune them say it takes a hacksaw.
Spence :mrgreen:
hegar

Re: Need help figuring out if my Blue Myrtle is going to be ok!

Post by hegar »

I think, that the spots on your cactus are too large to be scale insects. Most likely, there is nothing to worry about them and they are just a cosmetic problem. It is a good idea though, to keep an eye out for any changes, e.g. the spots are growing larger or new ones are appearing. Most likely, the tissue underneath those spots is firm and healthy.
I also do not see a very significant size in diameter of the new growth versus the part below it. Greenknight is correct with his advice of providing enough quality light (sunlight or light from a plant growing light).

Harald