Ebay drive-by 30 dollar garbage from a "Pro Nursery"..HELP!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
NY-Desert

Ebay drive-by 30 dollar garbage from a "Pro Nursery"..HELP!

Post by NY-Desert »

Hello,

I was looking for some input on what if anything i should do with these tortured plants I got stuck with from another expert on eBay. The Peruvian Apple Cactus was about 8 inches tall and was literally grown in a 3/4" plug to that 8 inches. Both cacti might as well have had 3/4" of cement on the roots because it was like a literal cement ball. I have never in my life seen a more stressed/infested pair of plants.

The second cactus is an Arizona Organ Pipe with the same tortured 3/4" cement ball and insect infestation scars literally covering the entire plant. After re-potting and watering they've both put on about 1" of lush green on top ( in just a month ). What I'm wondering is will they always show those battle scars? Should I just leave them grow or cut the tops and re-root them throwing out the base?

Both seem to be fast growers once they had a drink and some TLC. Can they ever fully recover from their trauma? Will i at some point need to take cuttings and start fresh?
Any advise would be very much appreciated. Thank You !
PS: The brown scarring extends a good 3" into the pots.
Peruvian Apple Cactus
Peruvian Apple Cactus
Peruvian_Apple_Cactus.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Ariz Organ Pipe
Ariz Organ Pipe
Organ_Pipe.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 955 times
hegar

Re: Ebay drive-by 30 dollar garbage from a "Pro Nursery"..HE

Post by hegar »

What you do is entirely up to you. You can accept the spots or "battle scars" as you call them or cut off a healthy piece of each cactus and try to root it. I personally would go with the first option. A perfect looking cactus does not have any personality in my opinion. Of course, if you are growing your specimens as "show plants", then the physical appearance does matter.
However, even if you decide to cut off the good looking top, make sure, that you do have enough growth that you want to remove, in order to successfully let it callus over and start a new plant. To increase your chances of success when doing the surgery, use only sterile equipment. Dip the knife in alcohol or a bleach solution and perhaps apply a rooting hormone that includes a fungicide. Leave the "mother plant" in place, at least until you know, that the cutting is doing well and has become established.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Most cacti acquire some scars somewhere along the line, those two look surprisingly good considering how badly they were raised. I wouldn't worry about it.
Spence :mrgreen:
NY-Desert

Post by NY-Desert »

Thank you both for the input, i do appreciate it. I might just leave them till next summer and then take another assessment of the plants progress. One concern I had was the quite lengthy scarred base of the cacti. It is as hard as a piece of ash or hickory. Will that be limited in growth, staying skinny?
Thanks Guys !
esp_imaging

Re: Ebay drive-by 30 dollar garbage from a "Pro Nursery"..HELP!

Post by esp_imaging »

The bases of old cacti tend to become woody over time anyway. As the plant diameter increases, the inital stem tissues can't exapand sufficiently, so the stem base of old plants often exhibits cracks where the oldest outer tissue has split as the diameter has increased. Ash or hickory trees have the same problem! Here's a good example of a massive cactus trunk:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/60438/
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
rsales3

Re: Ebay drive-by 30 dollar garbage from a "Pro Nursery"..HELP!

Post by rsales3 »

I think scars show character if the plant is healthy. Here are a couple photos I took a few weeks ago at the CSUF Arboretum.
20161203_113258 - Compressed.jpg
20161203_113258 - Compressed.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 730 times
20161203_112045 - Compressed.jpg
20161203_112045 - Compressed.jpg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 730 times
CHEERS