Sick Peyote (?) in India.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CactusIndia

Sick Peyote (?) in India.

Post by CactusIndia »

Here I am with 2nd post. Last for today, as its quite late here now.

I am not sure of my identification but thinking this might be a Lophophora Williamsi. (I am in the process of procuring books to positively identify). It was potted in a shallow bowl too wide for its size (about 2.5 times its diameter).
Been yellow for a few weeks and when I removed it from the pot, its roots appear dying. Why is it yellowing? Any helpful thoughts on what I can do to save this guy? Again, this is in hot and humid weather in India, inside a glasshouse.
Thanks.
IMG_8013.jpg
IMG_8013.jpg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
IMG_8016.jpg
IMG_8016.jpg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
IMG_8014.jpg
IMG_8014.jpg (55.93 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
IMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8015.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Aiko

Re: Sick Peyote (?) in India.

Post by Aiko »

It is not a Lophophora. What it is then? I don't know, really. Matucana madisoniorum maybe?
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I thought something like copiapoa gigantia or cinerea but deffinatelly been kept too wet let it dry and repot in a mineral mix with little to no organics it should set new roots but be careful with watering for a while as the roots grow.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
iann

Post by iann »

Might be Matucana auriflora
--ian
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah that would fit too Ian, either way it's quite ill and needs some tender care.

Is it soft or still firm? They can get quite ugly looking but still come back ok but if it's soft it might need surgery and cut the rotten bits away.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
iann

Post by iann »

Might just be another very neglected old plant. It is obviously stressed, you just have to decide if it is been too dry for too long, or if it is rotting. Maybe treat it as a cutting and sit it in some sand or porous material, then you can see if it starts to grow roots or goes the opposite direction. Hopefully is is just corked at the bottom and will bounce back.
--ian
CactusIndia

Post by CactusIndia »

Thanks guys... when i took it out of the pot, the soil was damp, and had a more clayey/soil look than porous. So I am thinking its from overwatering/dampness. Its quite firm as of now, so hoping it will take new roots if I rehabilitate it in some sand. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the responses.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CactusIndia wrote:Its quite firm as of now, so hoping it will take new roots if I rehabilitate it in some sand.
Depends on what you're calling "sand" -- if it's so fine that it'll clump up in your fist, you'll have a lot of trouble growing anything with it in a mix. Pumice gravel (AKA horticultural pumice) is excellent, although I don't know if you can find it in your part of India. If you can't, then hopefully you'll be able to get easy access to other sources for mineral gravels (crushed granite, calcined clay cat litter, etc.) that'll be suitable in a good cactus mix. The principle is basic -- fairly coarse mineral for free drainage and soil containing a minimum of organic (plant) materials.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CactusIndia

Post by CactusIndia »

Steve Johnson wrote:Depends on what you're calling "sand" -- if it's so fine that it'll clump up in your fist, you'll have a lot of trouble growing anything with it in a mix. Pumice gravel (AKA horticultural pumice) is excellent, although I don't know if you can find it in your part of India. If you can't, then hopefully you'll be able to get easy access to other sources for mineral gravels (crushed granite, calcined clay cat litter, etc.)
I used not the very fine sad, which does clump, but one slightly coarser, but still quite fine. Small cactus shoots and cuttings have successfully rooted in this before. So I am giving it a shot with the sick ones too. Pumice, as you guessed, is unfortunately not available locally, though i am still searching. I see some online sellers of it, but its expensive at almost $2/lb (not incl shipping).

Crushed Granite... that am sure can be procured around here... what is the size you are suggesting?

Thanks
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Pumice is usually sold by volume rather than weight, since it can hold a lot of water - $2 a pound would not be bad for dry pumice, but a high price if it's wet.

Horticultural pumice is generally 3/8 inch (~9mm) screen, that's a reasonable size for whatever gravel you use.
Spence :mrgreen:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CactusIndia wrote:Crushed Granite... that am sure can be procured around here... what is the size you are suggesting?
Here's a visual aid -- this is a photo of my pumice-granite gravel mix with scale for reference:

If crushed granite is all you can get as the mineral component for your mix, the grain sizes you see represented in the above pic should still be about right in terms of what you'll be looking for.

I hope this helps! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CactusIndia

Post by CactusIndia »

Thank you very much Steve. That is indeed very helpful.