Splinting Broken Flowering Stems & Related Questions

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
StarDragon

Splinting Broken Flowering Stems & Related Questions

Post by StarDragon »

I recently had a mishap involving wind damage to my Echeveria Peacockii, where the flower stem got fractured, but not completely snapped off. It occurred to me to try to splint it, so I did, despite not knowing if that would work. I know it & grafting can work on some plants. The snap was seamless & did not appear to have any dirt contaminating it, likely due to the rosette shielding it, & my hands were relatively clean. What are the odds that it will heal properly & continue to flower?
Also, it currently only has one flower stem, when a lot of times, echeverias sprout two at the same time. Will it grow another one after the earlier one, due to a less predictable growth pattern in some plants or do some just only sprout one?
I know dome plants continue to flower after losing first flower sprouts from removal or aborting them after repotting. Will this echeveria grow another flower stem after detecting damage &/or loss of its only current flower stem(s)?
esp_imaging

Re: Splinting Broken Flowering Stems & Related Questions

Post by esp_imaging »

StarDragon wrote:What are the odds that it will heal properly & continue to flower?
Very poor, I would have thought, unless your splinting skills are extraordinary, and the plant is now kept in a windless environment.
You could always cut the flower stem and put it in water and see if it keeps on going for a bit.
StarDragon wrote:Will it grow another one after the earlier one... or do some just only sprout one?
Why not, especially if it is large and healthy. It's more likely if the earlier flower stem is not allowed to develop.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti