Wobbling Echeveria

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
StarDragon

Wobbling Echeveria

Post by StarDragon »

I purchased an echeveria that's, I suppose, medium sized, roughly 6 or 7 inches wide, that appears to be healthy. I noticed as I was repotting it, it was wobbly at the base. I feared it may be root rot, however, I checked the texture of the base, & it is as firm as the rest of the stem, & I did not feel any evidence that it had been snapped. I also noticed exposed roots at the surface appeared to be healthy. Should I be concerned about rot or is some of its upper roots just loosened excessively somehow?
StarDragon

Re: Wobbling Echeveria

Post by StarDragon »

I think I may have discovered the problem. I removed the plant from the pot & thoroughly checked its entire root ball, removing soil down to the thicker roots, but preserving as much of the thinner roots as possible. All roots appeared to be healthy, although I couldn't quite tell if the thinnest, thread like roots, since they are so thin, that they don't always appear completely white, because of the soil. I think I could see the problem when I analyzed the top of the root ball. I could see, what appeared to be the cylindrical outline of the oldest root ball from presumably when the plant was much younger. The stem of the now mature plant was situated at the edge of where the significantly smaller original root ball is, causing it to lean. I potted it again, but have two stones placed under the leaning side to support it.