Spot on grafting stock

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
giocactus

Spot on grafting stock

Post by giocactus »

image.jpg
image.jpg (32.79 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Hi dear cacti friends, I need your advice whether cutting this spot is a good idea? Or if left will it kill the plant eventually. Thank you in advance.
Aiko

Re: Spot on grafting stock

Post by Aiko »

I see many spots. Which one are you referring to?

I don't see a big problem from anyone of them, though. If no risk, don't cut anything. Especially not at this time of the year.
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Thanks for your response. I mean the white dot on the stock plant, not those on the scion.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

As long as spots are soft, you are probably fine. Keep an eye on it to see if the size increases in the coming days / weeks. It will probably be hard and dry.
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

This spot is hardened, it's not soft at all, it's like plastic. I'll observe it these days, hope it doesn't grow.
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

Is that a Myrtillocactus rootstock? My Myrtillocactus plants have a tendency to get hard cork spots on them. At first I thought it was a disease but they seem to not be bad for the plant other than not looking good. I don't know what causes it.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Both previous posters are correct. The best thing is to keep an eye on the spot. If it enlarges - and especially if the tissue around it becomes chlorotic (yellowing) or darkens with a softening effect - then you do have a major problem. Also, if more spots appear, which most likely would indicate the presence of a plant pathogen.
Some of the columnar cacti do develop hard, crusty lesions, similar to the corking of cacti. These stem spots are not fatal to the plant and the tissue underneath looks healthy.

Harald
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Thanks for your comments, I've been away for a week or so and I'll be back tomorrow and check the plant. I'll update you on how it looks now.
giocactus

Post by giocactus »

Yes, the root stock is Myrtillocactus.