Sick cactus cutting!!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ebraze

Sick cactus cutting!!

Post by ebraze »

I just received a cutting of a San Pedro and the cut end looked yellow and possibly like it was growing a fungus. I cut the last 2 inches off with a sterile blade and the cut healed nicely over two weeks. However, I just noticed small black patched growing from the tip of the cactus. Can any one help me out and tell me what the best course of action is to get this cutting back to health???
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 597 times
CactusDoctor

Re: Sick cactus cutting!!

Post by CactusDoctor »

It looks very healthy from the photo. The marks I see look like a impact damage mark. Are you rooting out? I have one I rooted our horizontally outside that is taking off.
hegar

Re: Sick cactus cutting!!

Post by hegar »

This could be a bacterial, fungal, or just a physiological problem. I do hope, that it is the latter, because then it would only be cosmetic damage.
If it were a fungus, you would be able to see fine whitish or light grey strands of fungal mycelium or the discolored areas would have small round yellow, orange, grey or blackish spots, which are structures holding the fungal spores.
With bacteria, all you see is a discoloration and a change in color of the area surrounding the lesion. Usually, you also do have a "halo" effect, which is a yellow margin around the periphery of the spot. Both fungi and bacteria will eventually destroy the tissue around the lesion.
So it is best for you to keep an eye on these two spots and take action, whenever you see more of them appear or notice their enlargement.
If nothing changes, you are most likely OK with your plant.

Harald