Novice cactus owner - sick cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
mamoody

Novice cactus owner - sick cactus

Post by mamoody »

Hi all,

I've had this cactus for a few years with no problems. It lives inside next to a window with southern light. I water it every few weeks. Move it away from open windows when it gets too cold.

Lately I noticed it had some brown scaly spots. They are all over the cactus, not just on one side. I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong or its normal. I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

Photos are attached
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 853 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.44 KiB) Viewed 853 times
jmoney

Re: Novice cactus owner - sick cactus

Post by jmoney »

Could be corking maybe. Corking can happen to older/more mature cacti. I don't believe that it's sunburned, but that would depend on the side(s) that are facing the window. Seeing as it is on all sides though and I don't believe that the sun it is getting would be intense enough to burn it, I don't think that it is sunburn. Has this happened slowly over time or have these patches appeared all of a sudden? If it is in fact corking, this occurs naturally and I believe that it won't hurt the cactus at all.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
mamoody

Post by mamoody »

Thank you! I don't think it was there a few months ago but I don't scrutinize it too often so it could have been happening slowly. I will continue to keep an eye on it
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Is the area that are patchy hard & woody/soft?
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
mamoody

Post by mamoody »

I'm on a business trip right but I believe it's hard and scaly. I'll check when I get home.
mamoody

Post by mamoody »

It looks like the scaly parts are not hard. They feel like the rest of the cactus, just a little more rough. So not especially dry or anything, more like the way skin can feel kind of rough.
MartP

Post by MartP »

Late response - yes, it does look like corking on a Pilosocereus (that's what I'm predicting it is). I'm surprised it doesn't have any offspring around it. It looks healthy though :)