It's simply not growing

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
fanaticactus

It's simply not growing

Post by fanaticactus »

I've had this Neoporteria [Eriosyce] napina glabrescens for about three years. It has never grown noticeably (obviously never bloomed) and this season turned yellowish. I repotted it last year and kept holding out hope. Today I decided to unpot it to look at the roots. They seem fine, although there aren't many. They are neither dried out nor squishy. The body of the cactus is firm as well. What could be wrong? I'm thinking the yellow color might indicate a lack of fertilizer. Can it be salvaged?
DSC04502.JPG
DSC04502.JPG (41.75 KiB) Viewed 884 times
DSC04503.JPG
DSC04503.JPG (45.91 KiB) Viewed 884 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
jmoney

Re: It's simply not growing

Post by jmoney »

I agree, the yellow color doesn't look good. The roots look ok to me. I've never raised this type of cacti but based on the picture I've seen online, it doesn't seem like it is supposed to look like that. I wish I could be of more help.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Looks like a Copiapoa hypogeae I lost very recently. I turned like this in a few days (yours took longer?). Probably cooked by the sun. It started to change colour becoming pale, and a bit 'collapsed' like yours. The roots of mine looked fine too, but anything above the soil didn't. I don't dare to bet on yours becoming fine again, sorry...
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

Aiko wrote:Looks like a Copiapoa hypogeae I lost very recently. I turned like this in a few days (yours took longer?). Probably cooked by the sun. It started to change colour becoming pale, and a bit 'collapsed' like yours. The roots of mine looked fine too, but anything above the soil didn't. I don't dare to bet on yours becoming fine again, sorry...
I've seen some folks post about some cacti species 'collapsing'/sinking into the ground but then bouncing back like it is some sort of natural phenomenon. I'm not sure if it is during extreme drought conditions or what but could this be a possibility?

I'm not sure if the cactus posted here is one of those but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
iann

Post by iann »

I don't think those roots are working.
--ian
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

jmoney wrote: I've seen some folks post about some cacti species 'collapsing'/sinking into the ground but then bouncing back like it is some sort of natural phenomenon. I'm not sure if it is during extreme drought conditions or what but could this be a possibility?

I'm not sure if the cactus posted here is one of those but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
I've had experience with an Echinoceres perbellus, but that was just its 'winter hibernation'--and I know there are others. This one, I'm not so sure.
iann wrote:I don't think those roots are working.
How dare they go on strike? :x
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sorry for taking so long to chime in here, but I'm afraid those roots are done for. I moved my E. napina glabrescens from terracotta to glazed ceramic in early May, so here's what came out in the repotting process:

That's what the roots should look like when the plant is healthy.

While many desert cacti are quite forgiving about how they're grown, unfortunately the species in question isn't one of them. Since napina doesn't like it when the roots stay wet for long, I'll make a good argument in favor of going soil-less. That means straight pumice, and I have a feeling the soil in your mix is unsuitable for napina glabrescens because it takes too long to dry out toward the bottom of the pot. If your springs are on the cool side (which I believe they are), you probably shouldn't be watering it much before June. Wait until the first good stretch of hot, sunny weather begins, and the plant should be ready for watering. I know this is basically "closing the barn door after the horses leave", plus it certainly doesn't help to know that since Thelocephala was lumped in with Eriosyce (ooh, fun with taxonomy! :lol: ), it leads to confusion among less experienced hobbyists about how they should be treated. To help you make plant selections, you'll find a list of synonymous species here:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... phala.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know how comprehensive the list is, but this gives you a general idea. Anyway, even if you wouldn't want to go that route for your other cacti, I'd recommend nothing but pumice for your Thelocephalas.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Well, Steve, that certainly doesn't look like mine. Even though I switched its 'soil' to pumice as soon as I started using it late last summer, it may have been too late. The early watering (because it had looked dried up to me) and the fact I used a small terra cotta pot (because it was tall and narrow) most likely did not help at all. Thanks for these details. I like many Eriosyces and will have to add a couple to the collection next year.