Caring for nearly rootless cacti

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
keithp2012

Caring for nearly rootless cacti

Post by keithp2012 »

I brought a cactus with roots less than an inch long, just starting to grow roots. I placed it outside as it was ok in the pot outside at the store, it rained heavy last night thinking it would be ok I left it out. Today the base looked like it began to soften so I immedietly put it near a warm area and the soil is now bone dry.

Is it safe to keep it outside or inside on a sunny windowsill, it's not green so it's been through stress. When do I water?
iann

Re: Caring for nearly rootless cacti

Post by iann »

Patience. Don't overdo the sun on a plant with no roots, but do try to keep it warm.

Apparently not to so OK outside at the store or it would have had a decent set of roots ;)

You water when you can no longer bear to look at the poor shrinking cactus. It will last longer than you! Let's get back to patience. You seem to be flailing about all over the place. One minute the plant is in the pouring rain and the next you say it is bone dry. Really, in a few hours? Put it somewhere dry and warm but not baking, and leave it alone for a few weeks. Then assess whether the plant is firming up in the pot and consider whether to water.
--ian
keithp2012

Re: Caring for nearly rootless cacti

Post by keithp2012 »

iann wrote:Patience. Don't overdo the sun on a plant with no roots, but do try to keep it warm.

Apparently not to so OK outside at the store or it would have had a decent set of roots ;)

You water when you can no longer bear to look at the poor shrinking cactus. It will last longer than you! Let's get back to patience. You seem to be flailing about all over the place. One minute the plant is in the pouring rain and the next you say it is bone dry. Really, in a few hours? Put it somewhere dry and warm but not baking, and leave it alone for a few weeks. Then assess whether the plant is firming up in the pot and consider whether to water.
Ok so it's best inside so no accidental watering. As far as how it went from wet to dry, dryer vent outside, place pot near hot air, 2 hours presto, the small pot was dry.