Need Advice. Please Help :(

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
harrycroft23

Need Advice. Please Help :(

Post by harrycroft23 »

Hey Everyone!

I have problems with my cactus. I know NOTHING about cactus but I love the way it looks and thought it would be great to own a few. I went to Spain last year and I purchased three cacti. Two of which got ruined on the flight back, but one was ok! As it was my only big cacti (I own a smaller one too from a few years back) I really wanted it in my room instead of outside.

As I said before I know nothing about the care of them. So I let it do its own thing. And I think that was a mistake. I thought it was normal as I have seen all types of weird looking ones in Spain. But I have found these weird hard and hairy fluffy black things. I got freaked out so I went on google for answers, during that I found my cactus may have many more problems. I failed to water it often enough I think.

I will attach as many pictures as I can to help everyone on their final opinion. I would like to keep it as I like it even thought it looks weird. I have read the white dots are not good either. If anyone has any advice on options to save it that would be very helpful. I will also place it outside after writing this !! :D

PS. IMAGES 1-7 WERE TAKEN YESTERDAY. 8&9 WERE TAKEN TODAY. JUST SHOWS THE GROWTH!
Attachments
1 Image
1 Image
IMAG0836.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
2 Image
2 Image
IMAG0837.jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
3 Image
3 Image
IMAG0838.jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
4 Image
4 Image
IMAG0840.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
5 Image
5 Image
IMAG0841.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
6 Image
6 Image
IMAG0843.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
7 Image
7 Image
IMAG0844.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
8 IMage
8 IMage
IMAG0850.jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Image 9 !
Image 9 !
IMAG0851.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Last edited by harrycroft23 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
teo

Re: LOTS of problems. Please Help :(

Post by teo »

Looks like an Echinopsis subdenudata. The black fluffy things are flower buds. The only problem seems to be etiolation, i.e. too little light which causes the new growth to stretch out for more light. The white spots at the edges are areoles (also normal). The discoloration at the bottom is corking (also quite normal in older plants).
harrycroft23

Re: LOTS of problems. Please Help :(

Post by harrycroft23 »

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have put it outside now to get all the sunlight it needs.

Just quick questions.
1) Does it matter if it gets rained on at least once a week?
2) I heard people saying the white spots are pests? Are they not?
3) If I quickly post a pic of my other cactus could you tell me any problems with that one?

Thanks!!
iann

Re: Need Advice. Please Help :(

Post by iann »

Once a week may be too much. If it dries out thoroughly before it rains again (usually) and it is fairly warm and sunny then you should be OK. Cold and wet will be fatal. Constantly wet will be fatal. You might do better with a soil that dries out more quickly. The plant would probably benefit from a slightly (not too much!) larger pot.

I don't see any pests on your plant. The regular white spots along the ribs are normal. Some pests are white and fuzzy but I don't see them. The only real issue is the etiolated top. You might want to chop it off because it will never produce strong healthy growth. This species will readily produce pups around the base and you'll have a big clump in a couple of years.

We're good at pointing out problems ;)
--ian
harrycroft23

Post by harrycroft23 »

I will go cut it. But will it form with the rest of the plant and look normal? Also should I replant the bit i cut off and plant it so it grows roots?

CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Hi,
Don't put it out into red hot sun if it is used to being in shade as it will burn.It needs acclimatizing gradually to get used to being in the sun.
iann

Post by iann »

You could try and root the cut bit. Let it dry out and callus over thoroughly before you try planting it. Roots might take months to appear. Cutting is drastic, but that pointy head is really going to be a problem. In time it might grow more normally, but then you'd have a dumb-bell :)

You know those buds look pretty close to opening. A day or two somewhere nice and warm might do it.
--ian
harrycroft23

Post by harrycroft23 »

Thanks for all your help. The cactus is now outside, re-planted in a larger pot, with the top cut off and drying out waiting to be rooted.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Easy to root an Echinopsis, it'll probably grow just fine.
Spence :mrgreen: