Organic Mealybug and Scale Insect Pesticide

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
hegar

Organic Mealybug and Scale Insect Pesticide

Post by hegar »

I do not know, if this information has already been posted, but I do recall seeing something at least similar to what I am going to post.
I noticed, that mealybugs and scale insect infestations seem to be quite common, based on all the complaints about these pests on this thread.
Some time ago, a guest speaker at one of our local monthly cactus club meetings did give a presentation, in which he supplied us with a recipe, that he is using to keep his greenhouse plants from being overwhelmed by both mealybugs and scale insects.
It uses commonly available ingredients. I do not know, how effective the treatments are, but for anyone who does not want to use certain chemicals, this may be a way to go.

Harald

Marc’s Organic Mealybug and Scale Treatment Recipe

Ingredients: 1 part tobacco tea

1 part Listerine

1 part lemon-scented soap

Place chewing tobacco (“Red Man”, etc.) in a jar. Cover the tobacco with water and set in the sun for several hours, just like you would, if making “sun tea”. Then strain the liquid for use in tobacco tea treatment.

Use one part tobacco tea, one part Listerine, and one part lemon-scented soap. This will make up your stock solution (concentrate).

To spray or soak, you must add ten parts of water to one part of the tea mixture. If using a sprayer, agitate intermittently, in order to keep ingredients well mixed.

Spraying: to successfully spray for mealybugs and scale, you should spray once a
week for a minimum of three weeks. Completely soak your plants, tables,
floor and the whole greenhouse. Mealybugs disperse and lay egg cases on
pots, tables, and anywhere they can. If you do not spray them, they will
re-infest your collection. Also, spray underneath the pots, tables, everywhere.

Soaking: You need to completely soak your plants, in order to destroy root mealybugs. The run-off will kill those pests that may be present underneath the pots. The treatment otherwise is the same as that indicated for spraying.

Information above from Marc Goff
Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute
500 S. Phelps
Alpine, TX 79830
keith

Re: Organic Mealybug and Scale Insect Pesticide

Post by keith »

Lemon Scented so its doesn't smell terrible? I've used alcohol instead of Listerine but same mix. in my experience it kinda works, best for root mealies just soak the pot overnight in a saucer of this stuff.

the spray .. i wouldn't spray that stuff unless i was really protected, gloves, spray mask, etc. Nicotine is toxic and mixed with soap much worse nicotine sulfate.

organic doesn't mean safe.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Definitely be sure your 'sun tea' does not touch your bare skin.
iann

Post by iann »

Probably just as effective with only the soap. Use liquid soap, not detergent.

I intensely dislike nicotine insecticide home recipes; it is almost impossible to know what strength they are so you're either risking your own health using a strong one or completely wasting your time using a weak one. If you really really get a kick out of using one of the least effective and most harmful chemicals to kill insects then you can buy nicotine at known concentration for probably less than the tobacco would cost you.
--ian