Ladybug?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Benyellow

Ladybug?

Post by Benyellow »

Is this ladybug on the cactus? Is it harmful to the cactus? There's a whole lot of them. There appear to be egg sacs on the spine near the top.
Attachments
IMG-20150522-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20150522-WA0007.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
adetheproducer

Re: Ladybug?

Post by adetheproducer »

They look like scale bugs rather than ladybirds, us a cocktail stick and pick them off and you may want to treat with a systemic to kill any offspring.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Benyellow

Post by Benyellow »

Thanks a lot I will do that :)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

adetheproducer wrote:They look like scale bugs rather than ladybirds, us a cocktail stick and pick them off and you may want to treat with a systemic to kill any offspring.
Scale insects aren't red, so I think those are ladybugs. Ladybugs go after some cactus pests, and they're the good guys -- if that's what you have, leave them alone and let your cacti do some biological pest control!

By the way -- if you want to know what scale infestations look like, see this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#scale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Benyellow

Post by Benyellow »

Oh, I think I can leave it be, see what happens then, hope it will do no harm. Thanks a lot :)
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

While I do agreed ladybirds would be beneficial to the cacti these do not look like ladybirds. If you take a look at the picture in this link

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CMQMygEMAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there are many types of scale bug and not all make that stereotypical scale shaped shell.

I can see one wondering about on the top dressing rocks so could well be some other type of beetle/bug but it is suspicious them congregating around the new growth I would think they are at least sucking sap from the cacti or if not the unknown feeding habits of these insects make me think they need to be got rid of.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Benyellow wrote:Oh, I think I can leave it be, see what happens then, hope it will do no harm. Thanks a lot :)
I'll admit that it's really hard to tell what you have based on your photos. Can you zoom your camera in for a closer look?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Benyellow

Post by Benyellow »

I will try to snap a better photo, will be uploading soon, thanks a lot :)
hegar

Post by hegar »

This is a difficult one to identify, because the insects do not appear big enough on the image to figure out, what kind of animal is involved here.
Also, it would be helpful to find out the size of the pest or predator.
Based on the glossiness and shape of the specimen present on the pebble, I do not think, that this is an armored scale insect. There are also soft scales found in nature. It could be one of those. However, if these things are moving around, they are definitely not scale insects. Those would not be found sitting on a pebble either. My best guess is, that it is indeed a beetle of some kind, not necessarily a ladybeetle.

Harald
Benyellow

Post by Benyellow »

Thanks a lot Harald, I'm 100% sure they are not harming my cactus now, as they are not there anymore, can't find them anywhere. But the egg sacs are still there. The melocactus above is barely one centimeter wide, it's a baby melo, so I guess the bug is just a few milimeters, and yes they are crawling around. Thanks for the info guys :)