Death and sickness after dormancy?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.

Do your cacti/succulents have a hard time adjusting to regular watering after dormancy?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Yes, I've lost one or more cacti or succulents due to this problem
25%
Yes, my cacti and/or succulents often show signs of distress or sickness
No votes
No, my cacti or succulents adjust nicely due to their natural growing cycle when watered correctly
63%
No, I've her experienced this problem, but I have heard of it
13%
No, I have never heard of this problem
No votes

Total votes: 8
allygracebz

Death and sickness after dormancy?

Post by allygracebz »

My first ever cactus, Lucy: owned for 2 years, just died about 2 weeks after her first watering of the spring season after dormancy. It happened very quickly, not gradually. I don't know what happened, could I have watered her too much? Too little? Too late? Did she just have a hard time adjusting? She turned more green than normal and became extremely soft and squishy in death. I'm really upset especially since this was my first cactus raised, and don't want to make the same mistakes. I watered the other cacti and succulents the same amount and they are healthy. Help?
Steve Johnson

Re: Death and sickness after dormancy?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Great topic for a poll, and I'm sure that pretty much every grower has gone through this kind of heartache at some point in his or her experience.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Interesting question. I've killed my share of cacti, but usually not first thing in the Spring - that's when I'm most cautious about watering. I always wait for a warm, sunny spell to give them a full watering, and they don't get another until they're definitely dry.

Could you have left that one plant sitting in water? It's always a good idea to double-check that after 15 min or so, in case more water drained out of the pot.
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

At least two options! My plants usually thrive if I treat them correctly, but certainly I've killed some. Maybe they were pretty much dead and I didn't know it until I warmed them up in sprint. Maybe they had longstanding problems that weren't obvious so long as the plant stayed cool and dry. Or maybe I just got the conditions wrong in spring. Clearly there is no fundamental problem with cacti getting some water after a period without it, just me getting it wrong.
--ian