is my cactus ok?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
laut

is my cactus ok?

Post by laut »

I'm just wondering if my cactus is ok.. I've had him for about four years now, having bought him during fresher's week at my university.
Unfortunately, i kept in my room in halls where there was only one tiny probably not south facing window.. and after about 8/9 months, he was neglected for about 2 months in april-june, as I was home ill and he remained in my dorm room. Over this time, he developed a narrowing about a third of the way up, which hasn't recovered. Since then he's also gone white around this narrowing.
cactus 1.jpg
cactus 1.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 804 times
cactus 2.jpg
cactus 2.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Is there anything I need to do for him? Also does anyone have any idea of his species?
iann

Re: is my cactus ok?

Post by iann »

The base doesn't look so good but I don't think it is fatal. Make sure the brown corking isn't spreading too quickly, then try to treat it better this year. A year of good healthy growth and the dodgy lower half will be hardly visible.
--ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks like an Oreocereus, hard to say which species. Needs sun (gradually get it accustomed to it), and water when dry.
Spence :mrgreen:
laut

Post by laut »

Does it need to spend time outside? If so, am I right to assume it'd be best to limit it- it seems leaving it out permanently would place it at risk when there's a few days of rain at once, or a heavy frost?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It would do best if you put it outside in sunny weather during the growing season. It doesn't absolutely need it, but the spines and hair will develop better if you do. You've got the right idea - overwatering is very bad, so don't leave it out in the rain for too long. An Oreocereus can stand freezing when dry and dormant - they're native to high elevations in the Andes - but a plant in a pot can't take as much cold as one in the ground, so best not to leave it out in a hard freeze either.

During Spring and Summer, water thoroughly when the soil is dried is out deeply, a good amount should come out the drain hole. Pour off the excess, don't leave it sitting in water. Rainwater is the best. In Autumn, let it dry out, and leave it dry and dormant over the Winter, as explained here - http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... r_rest.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
laut

Post by laut »

Thank you greenknight!