I'm worried my 20+ year old cactus may be dead/dying.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
tomo

I'm worried my 20+ year old cactus may be dead/dying.

Post by tomo »

I've had this tiny cactus for 20+ years and up until recently, it had been doing very well. About a month ago, it started looking kinda brownish. I did some research online and decided to repot it in a larger pot and fresh soil. The poor thing was totally root bound, but the roots looked white and healthy, so I was hopeful it would survive the repotting. Now, it's a week later, and it's not looking any better--if anything, it's looking worse. :( Is it dead? Is there anything I can do to still save it? I'd appreciate any advice.
Attachments
small cactus 2.jpg
small cactus 2.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
small cactus 3.jpg
small cactus 3.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Awdre

Re: I'm worried my 20+ year old cactus may be dead/dying.

Post by Awdre »

I'm sorry to say it, but that cacti is gone..
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Definitely dead.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Aww i wanna cry, I'm sorry hunnie, but its gone to cacti heaven. It dried out if u cut it own it will be just a dry empty shell
It may have had rot or m mold inside the plant and its to late for this guy. I'm sorry hun :(
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Youcan maybe try cutting it open on the top and if the inside is green maybe it will grow a pup, but other then that it can't really be saved if the inside is hollow :(
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the input everyone, that's what I was afraid of. :( I'm not sure what happened...I probably should have repotted it years ago but it was so tiny I was worried it wouldn't survive taking it out of the pot. *sigh*

And thank you KittieKAT for the advice. I did try cutting off the top, but no green inside, just sort of a brownish stem/spine (?) and it looked completely dried out. Thanks again for your kinds words, I appreciate it.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that hunnie. I think it got rott (brownish fluids mean rot) or it froze or may have been sun burned to badly, i feel bad that this happened to yr cacti, i recently lost a majority of my collection and almost all of the kids plant's and seedlings in the non profit growing program i run :( so i kno the feeling all to well .
Hopefully now you can find a new cacti to love and care for outta this tragedy, and we people on this site are always here to help and answerquestions about stuff when you need it. Unfortunately it was to late for this little guy, but I'm sure you'll find a new friend to love and care for ssoon. Goodluck hunnie :)
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Next time u find one put it in a mix of 50/50 perlite and sifted (thru a grate, or a small plastic pots drainage holes) Cacti and succulent soil
Equal parts of each and. Mix it up good. That will allow the soil to dry faster and have better drainage that's needed for cacti and succulents. Also make sure tree pot has drainage holes in the bottom so excess water can drain outta the soil. Good luck hunnie
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks KittieKAT...I used to keep him on a window sill, and about 2 months ago, we had a sudden cold snap in the middle of a very warm Fall. It seems like my cactus took a turn for the worse after that, so maybe the abrupt change in temps. did something. I'm still sort of bummed about losing him! Not many people would understand why it's a big deal, so it's nice to find other cacti and plant lovers who can relate. And I'm so sorry to hear about your collection and the seedlings for the non-profit group! :(

On a happier note, to replace the cactus I lost, I've ordered several cacti online (including the golden barrel one I'm working on repotting) and today, I stopped at a local garden center and they had a small table of cacti and I found this guy! So my new cacti collection is starting to grow. :)

Thanks also for the tips on soil, etc. I have so much to learn and I'm so glad I found this forum! :D
Attachments
new cacti.jpg
new cacti.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yes the frost prob killed the last cacti, or the sun burned it to death. Winter sun is a killer! So put yr new cacti in indirect light tgat gets a few hours of full light each day, so it doesn't burn. I'm glad you found a new cacti to love an cherish as more to soon follow!
You'll be needing a bigger place in a few months to hold all the new cacti! Lol

Good luck with yr New cactus, make sure u repot all cacti from stores or online an nurseries asap! The mix their usually use isn't really madeto keep cacti/ssucculents alive! Goodluck hun