syrup looking glaze?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
KittieKAT

syrup looking glaze?

Post by KittieKAT »

So was checking my cacti for pests, like i do every few day's. And all seemed fine until i came across my Neo. Oculta
It looked kinda shiny/slimy ontop so i took a closer look and it looked like someone dropped syrup onto the top of the plant and it glazed over, tried to take a picture but wouldn't show up on it, prob cause it's dark out. (?)

So i frantically looked every single plant over and that seems to be they only one near it that has this syrup stuff on it (?) I looked for a cause, couldn't find anything that looked like it could cause such a thing (?) Confused i continued to look over the rest of my plants and i noticed at the top of my desert rose where the leaves form and the buds grow wad the same syrup looking glaze, only on the very tips of where the leaves will grow back when the temp rises again....What is this stuff?
I looked closer at it and there isn't any bug or anything on the plant or the soil? I don't kno if they do this or if something weird is going on, but I've never seen it before....any ideas guys/girls?

Thanks
hegar

Re: syrup looking glaze?

Post by hegar »

It could just be some crust formed by the plant's sap. If this is the case, something did injure the apex of your cactus. It could have been an insect or just some plain mechanical injury. Is there any indication of a stab wound or crushed plant tissue near the center of the glazed area. The plant will most likely fully recover, if that is the case.
One bad thing - if this is indeed damage caused by an insect - would be, if the insect is actively feeding inside your cactus. If that is the case, the chances for your plant to recover are not very good, because the larvae (beetle or moth) do usually carry secondary fungi or bacteria into the plant, causing it to rot. If the internal damage is not extensive, a systemic insecticide may be of some use.
Well, I am just making some "wild guesses". It certainly would have helped, if you could take a good close-up image of the "syrup looking glaze".

Harald
iann

Post by iann »

Rotting cacti can also ooze, usually with an off smell. Or insects can cause deposits. Hard to tell without a picture/
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Well iused alcohol and cleaned it off to look for a hole, didn't see anything, no signs of insects anywhere, Idk what it was but i haven't noticed any more since i cleaned it. Really hard to get a picture of it cause its shiny so the light reflects and you can't see it that good. ..maybe it's oozing cause it's growing. Its just weird cause it was only on those two plants. . The oculta and the desert rose where the leaves will emergefrom the trunks arms, rreally have no idea. They have been potted for a while now so i don't think it's from that. It doesn't look rotten or that it's getting mushy just looks normal except for that syrup. I haven't noticed it on the plant since i cleaned it off, but I'll keep an eye out. .