Is my T. Bridgesii dead?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
skywalker325

Is my T. Bridgesii dead?

Post by skywalker325 »

Hello! I've started wondering if my sentimental T. Bridgesii is dead because it never changes, looks dull and splotchy, and has endured long stretches with no water. If alive, how can I make it look better?

-Purchased: Sep 2010; already the same height, and already had the brown spot. The flower is fake, glued on. [photo in small pot taken in the store]
-Environment: always indoors, room temperature
-Soil: Miracle Grow cactus soil; initially potted in Sep 2010, never repotted. [The spines in the soil are from an errant Christmas tree.]
-Watering: Rarely. At first I watered it every few weeks (when the soil went completely dry), but several times it has gone 4-8 months without a drop.

Is the cactus completely dead, and can I do anything to liven it up? I assume it needs repotted, maybe cut to remove the brown spot? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
cactus front
cactus front
IMG_9028 (1024x1024) (800x800).jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
cactus side
cactus side
IMG_9034 (1024x1024) (800x800).jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
closeup brown spot
closeup brown spot
IMG_9030 (1024x1024) (800x800).jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
cactus before purchasing
cactus before purchasing
cactus_Sep10.jpg (22.87 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
Saxicola

Re: Is my T. Bridgesii dead?

Post by Saxicola »

It is still alive. You might want to remove the straw flower. It just isn't growing because it doesn't like the conditions it is in. I will virtually guarantee it is getting much to little light. If you have to grow it indoors then put it in a bright windowsil (not 3 feet from one, in one or within a foot of one at most). If you are in a cold winter climate you will have to keep it indoors this time of year. You can pretty much let it be dry for the winter, then start watering again in the spring. Once frost danger has passed you should grow it outside on a patio or somewhere similar.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yep, if it was dead it would either rot or dry up. Doesn't look very happy, though. Moving it outdoors for the summer will do wonders for it. Get it accustomed to the sun gradually.

If the brown spot is dry it's not a problem.
Spence :mrgreen:
skywalker325

Post by skywalker325 »

Thanks Saxicola and greenknight!

It's still in the 50s-60s here so I will keep it outside as much as I can, and closer to a window inside. The brown spot is dry, yes. Would re-potting it with fresh soil help anything?
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Should probably add too that it isn't a T bridgesii, looks more like a Pilosocereus of some sort.
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

If you repot I will definitely try to use a less organic soil mix.

I also agree that this does not look like T. bridgesii and looks more similar to a Pilosocereus, both of which are in my collection. Also you probably wouldn't find a bridgesii at a store, especially with a glued on flower.
skywalker325

Post by skywalker325 »

I moved the cactus to the balcony last week, where it gets direct (but not intense) sun most of the day. It's still in the 60s here. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for fixing my identification. I'll research Pilosocereus now. I know nothing about cacti (obviously, having assumed this one was dead) but thought I'd found a match when researching advice. Thanks for correcting me!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Good luck with it! Being on the balcony while the weather is still nice will definitely be good for the plant. Just keep an eye out for signs of sunburn. You may not see much or any growth this fall but hopefully in the spring it will show signs of life.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with the Pilocereus ID.

As long as the weather is mild it will benefit from being outdoors. They can't stand much cold, though, and definitely not frost hardy.
skywalker325

Post by skywalker325 »

One year update!

After moving the cactus next to a south-facing window, it started growing for the first time ever. 4" of new growth (mostly from Mar-Aug), which looks much cleaner and healthier. Any idea why the new growth is skinnier than the rest of the cactus?

I also didn't realize that cacti grow from the top -- the new growth is on the top instead of the base. It amuses me that it pushed the fake flower out of the way, but hasn't fallen off.

Thank you for your tips! I'm very happy to see it improving.

Wendy
Attachments
cactus.JPG
cactus.JPG (52.17 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
cactus2.JPG
cactus2.JPG (53.74 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear, but the reason the new growth is skinnier is because it actually needs even more light. Notice how spread out the spines are on the new growth are much farther apart? This is a sign that the cactus would like more light. Moving it into more light will make it start to grow normally again (the skinny part will probably stay that way forever though).
7george

Post by 7george »

Yeah - Pilosocereus plants need unobstructed sun light, 4 - 6 hrs min, to keep their ~ natural look. And you still keep that fake flower? I wouldn't resist to pool it out on the very first day...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It does look a lot healthier - but yes, it needs more light.