Is my Lophophora Williamsii sick - Brown scaly skin

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Greenfish

Is my Lophophora Williamsii sick - Brown scaly skin

Post by Greenfish »

Hi, I have a Lophophora Williamsii (Peyote) which I have had for several years, it has always been healthy and flowers sporadically but often. However, the cactus has started to go brown and lose its green shiny skin, mainly around the base but also on some of the Lophs further up the cactus before the crown. The brown areas look a bit like a cross between dusty mold that doesn't really come off and brown peeling cactus skin. There has always been a little bit of brown in patches but nothing like the recent onset!

I live in the UK (Midlands) and the cactus is kept on a window sill facing directly east, it gets full sunlight from just after dawn through to midday and it has always seemed quite happy in that spot.

I recently re-potted the cactus using cactus soil purchased from B&Q (home improvement shop) to see if that helped the cactus. I give the cactus water infrequently, normally a centre-meter or two poured into the top of the pot which I leave to soak in (takes a minute or two as the soil is quite dry) when I notice the Lophs getting a bit soft - approximately once every 2-4 weeks depending how hot it is during the summer and once every couple of months during winter.

Please can anyone help? I have added two pictures below.

Thank-you!
Attachments
2014-07-17 08.28.59.jpg
2014-07-17 08.28.59.jpg (75.82 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
2014-07-17 08.30.02.jpg
2014-07-17 08.30.02.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
adetheproducer

Re: Is my Lophophora Williamsii sick - Brown scaly skin

Post by adetheproducer »

Looks like mite damage or possibly fungle/bacteria infection. I would re-pot it the soil look excessivelly organic which harbours fungi and bacteria. Make a more mineral based mix with hardly any organic material. My lophs are all in pure mineral with no actual dirt. once its repotted and settled in or before repotting treat with a systemic agaist the mite and fungle/bacterial infoction.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Yep, mite damage. You'll need to treat with an acaricide to get rid of them. Or you could try spraying the plant with rubbing alcohol to kill the mites, but it's very easy to leave some of them alive by doing so. Be sure to apply any treatment out of direct sunlight.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Greenfish

Post by Greenfish »

Thanks to both of you! I'm not very experienced in this, can you tell me what the best mineral mix would be? I gather mineral mix normally consists of sand, silt and clay, with a very small amount of organic matter. What would be best for my Loph?

Also please can you recommend a acaricide? I can't seem to find one specifically for cactus, but I did find this - Scott's Miracle Grow Bug Clear Ultra http://www.premierdvds.co.uk/p/Interact ... icide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would that work?

Do you think the Loph will recover, or will it stay scared with the brown scales?

Thanks very much for your help it's greatly appreciated!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

It will stay scarred but should grow out a bit in time. My soil mix is made up of limestone chippings, red and green granite chippings, various grades of gravels, sandstone bits and small lumps of natural clay(not much maybe a few lumps per plant). I use a heavy hammer to smash any bits that are to big and keep all the sharp splinted bit of rock and dust and use that.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
globose

Post by globose »

That is such a beautiful plant! I'm so envious!