Newbie with sick Cactus... maybe?!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
propus

Newbie with sick Cactus... maybe?!

Post by propus »

Hi, about 11 months ago I purchased a triple pack of baby cactus to put on my new born babies windowsill. Eleven months on and I'm not sure, but I think one could be suffering some sort of problem. It appears to chase the sun pretty badly as the sun moves across my balcony. Some days the cactus is splayed all over the place then a few hours later it's upright! Last time one 'branch?' was lying on the table and didn't right itself along with the others. I'll try to attach some pictures.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.36 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.84 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
propus

Re: Newbie with sick Cactus... maybe?!

Post by propus »

The first image was taken at 6pm and the second image at 8am the following day. These were taken before the time where one branch did not manage to right itself from lying completely down.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I don't think it's sick - reaching toward the light is a sign that it's growing, actually.

It's also a sign that it wants more light. It doesn't look bad, though, maybe moving it right up close to the window would be enough - every inch away from the glass makes a difference. It would be happiest if it spent the summer outside in the sun, however.

When the one branch failed to straighten up, was the plant dehydrated? That's the only explanation I can think of. If it's still lying down, it's probably taken a set that way and will never stand back up.

If you want one of these for the windowsill, maybe you should have two - have one out on the patio, one in the window, and switch them about once a week. Cuttings of these root easily.

Though you didn't ask - it's Austrocylindroputia subulata monstrose.
Spence :mrgreen:
propus

Post by propus »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I was told it is Opunta Subulata, but I have no idea. This thing was the size of a golf ball 11 months ago.

I actually keep it outside all the time now since it grew too large for the windowsill. I don't have pictures at the moment, but I'll post some later when I get home. The glass in previous images is balcony glass.

I'm glad the cactus looks OK and doesn't appear sick.

Now that I think about it, you may have hit the nail on the head with the dehydrated comment. The temperatures have started reaching almost into the 50 degrees Celsius here! I have a moisture sensor in the pot and only water when the sensor indicates the soil is dry... sometimes I'm watering about 500ml every few days. I have since moved the cactus away from direct sunlight and gently propped up the branches back up(what is the correct term for these branches?). I'll check this evening how it's doing and post another picture.

Again thanks for the help, I'd hate for my first Cactus to die off so soon... and ideally it would be great for it to continue to grow so my Daughter can learn it is same age as her and perhaps take ownership of it.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

If you are going to give it water you may as well soak it down completelly then don't water until the soil goes dry again thats a normal watering regime for cacti, the wamer the weather the more regular the water. Its seems to be a common missconception they do not need much water. Cacti do like alot of water, they just like the dry periods between as well.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
propus

Post by propus »

Hi,

The 500ml water pretty much drenches the pot with water sitting on the top until it drains through. I then leave it until the soil is bone dry according to the soil meter. It used to be about once a month then one every other week then every week. It's gotten to the point where the soil is now dry every few days... I think due to the temperature being in the 45-50'C range (not 45-50'F).

The pictures attached show the cactus upright in the morning and flopped over in the evening. To begin with the cactus would lean towards the sun and follow it through the day. I would rotate the pot 180 degrees every couple of days. Now it's at the point where the cactus just appears to flop all over the place.

Dehydration the most probable cause? I'm cautious of over watering, but just don't know if watering every 3 or days is too much?!

Should I use plant food at all?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.14 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
TexasPricklyPiglet

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

I second the dehydration comment as the cactus doesn't really appear to have any sort of indicators of being sick otherwise. How has it been doing since it has been living outside?
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
propus

Post by propus »

It was moved outside a several months ago and since then it's been growing at a crazy speed.... or at least it seams crazy to me. I gradually moved all three from indoors to shaded outside area then into where they are now with direct sunlight. The fluffy one has grown quietly without any fuss. The round spiky one has gotten quite big and released several bright yellow flowers. Pics attached of their growth. First set of pics are from when I first moved the cactus plants outside. The second set of pics are about 6 months after.

I'll keep a closer eye on the soil dryness and see if the large cactus appears to need watered even more than I am currently doing. I think the suggestions of dehydration could be correct. What are the dangers of repeated dehydration?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.49 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.01 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.28 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I would say just keep watering if the soil does dry that quickly, also dont bother rotating it. Keep the plant facing the same direction they get used to where the light falls on them you can cause sunburn on areas that are not strong enough for direct light, no one rotates the plants in the wild. But other than that it looks healthy enough, maybe a larger pot soon give the roots a bit more room. I like the parodia/notocactus withthe yellow flower buds, very lush and green.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, I agree about the pot size, it's getting too large for that pot and dries out quickly. It's not in danger from being briefly dehydrated, though - it would have to be dried out for a very long time to hurt it. Overwatering is much more of a danger, better to err on the side of dryness.

A. subulata does get fairly large, like a small tree, though the monstrose form you have is much more compact - it puts its energy into producing numerous branches, growing thick instead of growing tall. More sun will encourage it to branch more freely, I can see that's happening already. Still could reach 2 feet tall.

As for fertilizing, I suggest you read this thread: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=33548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

The plant is probably suffering from the intense heat. This species is from high altitudes which isn't adapted to anything more than probably 40 degrees Celsius. The fact it has a lot of leaves also makes it very vulnerable to losing water fast. You can keep watering it when dry and it should be fine though.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
propus

Post by propus »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your great advice.

I've repotted now with a layer of stones/clay rocks in the bottom of the clay pot. A plastic pot inside that again with a layer of stone/clay rocks then the pot filled with a mix of soil, stones, clay and sand - the same mix as was in the smaller pot.

When I removed the cactus from the smaller pot the roots had grown pretty well and looked healthy enough. I've put a layer of clay stones on the top of the soil to more for decoration than anything else.

I left the cactus in a dark corner of the balcony for two days and didn't water. The cactus perked up and was pretty much fully upright with a slight bend towards the sunny side of the balcony.

Last night I moved the pot back into the sunny side where it's been for last few months and within a day it's flopped over again and looking a bit wrinkly. I think it may well be too hot or dry. I've attached a picture.

I've just watered the cactus in the hope it perks up again. If not then I'll move it back into the shaded cooler side of the balcony until summer calms down.

Any further thoughts, comments or advice?

Thanks again guys.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It may always droop in the heat, but that dark-colored pot cover is likely to make things worse because dark colors absorbs more heat from the sun. If you put it in a white pot and mulch the surface with light-colored stones it will keep the roots cooler when it's in the sun, which should help the problem.
propus

Post by propus »

So a few months on an 2 of the 3 cacti are going strong. The little round one flowered, flowers died, flowered again, flowered died off several times over and over until one day the the cactus started to look like it was deflating?! Now it's dead I'm sure. The other two are much larger than they were before. The problem Cactus which kept looking dehydrated and splayed all over the place still does the same, but appears to have fallen all over the place ready to start spreading out? Is this normal?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.36 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
iann

Post by iann »

No, not normal. Those skinny stems at the base (from being grown in too little light with too much fertiliser) are never going to be able to hold up the robust new growth. Try taking a cutting or two (did you already?) and grow a new plant. As you can see it will grow fast, but better if it grows strong and upright. Maybe keep the old one if you have the space and see how it goes.

Looks the the columnar (Espostoa?) is going crazy. Maybe it will flower. Not many people have ever seen that.
--ian