Browning, peeling plant!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
daniellesyd

Browning, peeling plant!

Post by daniellesyd »

Hi, I'm new here to the forum and hoping you guys might be able to help.

I have a small plant that started to lose its colour, then eventually its spines at the base. It also appears to be peeling. This has started to spread all around it and now I've found a black spot which you can see in one of the photos below.

I'm not sure if this might be a sunlight issue. I keep it in my living room which is surrounded by floor to ceiling windows. Often feels like a greenhouse inside here. It gets plenty of light. Doubt it would be too much though? Not too sure.

Any advice you could offer would be amazing! I want to save it, love this plant dearly! Thanks so much.

Danielle
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (115.91 KiB) Viewed 594 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (80.17 KiB) Viewed 594 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (113.81 KiB) Viewed 594 times
tumamoc

Re: Browning, peeling plant!

Post by tumamoc »

I don't have much experience with Parodia species, but the browning and spine loss at the base is normal for most cacti over time. It's the process of turning woody. I don't see the black spot you mention. That could be trouble if it gets much bigger.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

It looks like natural corking, the green bits look healthy. Provided the corking parts are not soft and squishy it most likely all ok.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

One thing you might want to check into: from your photo it looks like you have a soil mix with way too much peat/organics. Read up on soil mix here on the guide. Some of the brown spots further up may be the result of insect damage. Sue