whats this spots on latispinus ?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
wikicactus

whats this spots on latispinus ?

Post by wikicactus »

hi , whats this spots on latispinus ?

A cactus lover from PERSIA

http://wikicactus.com
hegar

Re: whats this spots on latispinus ?

Post by hegar »

Hello wikicactus,
after looking at your images I cannot say for sure, if there is absolutely nothing to worry about your Ferocactus latispinus. I do have a large plant in my front yard and it does not have that kind of lesion. In my opinion, the spots were not caused by a pathogen, but do have another cause. I do see cacti that were collected in the wild and were subjected to all kinds of events including perhaps hail damage, mechanical injury by spines or other objects, insect feeding damage, etc.. Sometimes something akin to an edema forms underneath the injured part. It looks a little like a blister which pushes the epidermis up. There is nothing that can be done about it though. It is a cosmetic problem only.
I would of course examine the plant closely for the next few weeks, in order to see, if these spots grow in size or if new ones develop.
At this time the lesions seem to be located mostly on the lower half of the plant and the cause of them may not be present any longer.
To me the lesions look hard and cork-like and I do not see any specks on them, which would indicate the presence of a fungus. They most likely are also superficial. Overall, your plant does look healthy and that is why I would not get overly upset yet.
So just sit back and observe, whether or not there are any changes, i.e. lesions enlarge and/or multiply.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with hegar. I have a Fero with similar orange patches at the base, been that way for years - no problem.
Spence :mrgreen:
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Mine has got it too, I think they just start corking really early. Also they are a bit susceptible to danage if wet and in the sun so I tend to water in the evening so the stem is dry by the time sun cones out.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
wikicactus

Post by wikicactus »

thanks alot
A cactus lover from PERSIA

http://wikicactus.com
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

wikicactus wrote:hi , whats this spots on latispinus ?
I've got a latispinus with exactly the same markings ... as though someone has painted the body with wax and then dusted it with some orange/tan substance. Your posting is a couiple of years older than mine is, so i've GOT to ask ... how is your Ferocactus latispinus today? Could I ask you to post a more current picture ... if yours has survived? I'll trade pics with you!
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a