Pesticide Recommendation

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
MissScout

Pesticide Recommendation

Post by MissScout »

I wanted to know what pesticides work best for you guys for mealybugs and for spider mites. I know it has to be a systemic for mealybugs-- is there a product like that that would also be effective against spider mites? Thanks.
Rather than admitting I have a problem, I joined a forum.
cactushobbyman

Re: Pesticide Recommendation

Post by cactushobbyman »

I spray rubbing alcohol on both. :)
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Any of the Bayer products containing Imidacloprid will work fine for Mealies. It is a contact spray as well as having some systemic action. The best miticide to use is Tetrasan at 1/4 to 1/2 tsp/gal. I use the 2 together along with Enstar 2 for long term control of both pests. For a small collection, the Bayer's product and Tetrasan would work fine. Tetrasan is a good ovacide so you generally don't have repeat infections from eggs already laid. Treating for mealies alone with Imidacloprid may actually increase egg production in mites so best to treat both at the same time.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

I have had good results by using "Garden Safe Brand Insecticidal Soap: Insect Killer" on the following:
1) ants drop dead in seconds
2) spiders
3) scale
4) mealy bugs

Part of the instructions on the 'fold out' instructions on the back label say: "This product contains specially selected soaps (fatty acid salts) chosen for effective pest control. Garden Safe Brand Insecticidal Soap Insect Killer penetrates the body of pests by disrupting membrane and cellular function." This product can be bought through Amazon for less than $6.

I have also used, with similar results (although I made less effort to record/remember exact results when using this particular product) by using "Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap, 32 oz.", which is available from Amazon for about $7.50

I sincerely hope you, or anyone else reading this, have similar results. Should anyone have conflicting data concerning either of these products, please ... please ... contact me.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
keith

Post by keith »

Should anyone have conflicting data concerning either of these products, please ... please ... contact me.'

Insecticide soap doesn't really work very good for me. Imidacloprid works very well for mealybugs I have kelthane for spider mites but I don't think its available anymore.

Insecticide soap is a good choice for tomatoes or something you are going to eat.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

For spider mites:
There aren't any miticides with systemic action, unfortunately. Formulations containing Pyrethrum, deltamethrin, ivermectin, etoxazole and bifenazate should all be very effective. Bifenazate is probably one oft he best, since it will kill the adults and the eggs. Since you live in the US, you should have a wealth of chemicals available to you. Here in the UK it's harder to get a hold of acaricides. I managed to get a hold of some Avid and Floramite, though. :P

Mealybugs:
Should be easy enough to control. Repeated applications of Imidacloprid or anything neonicotinoid should be effective. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

CactusFanDan wrote:For spider mites:
There aren't any miticides with systemic action, unfortunately.
Yes there is! Kontos. It is horrendously expensive ($200 per bottle) but it is systemic.

http://www.ohp.com/Products/kontos.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I've had good results against mealies using Fels Naptha laundry soap. Extremely cheap. :D
Spence :mrgreen: