C senilis offset or flower bud

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cactushobbyman

C senilis offset or flower bud

Post by cactushobbyman »

I was cleaning the back shelf of the greenhouse and saw this growth. I know it is rare to have this plant flower other than habitat, but it is either an offset or a bud. The growth tip is not the kind of nice green you like to see, but the hairs still have nice color. Time will tell. :-k
It's a darker green, not a bright green.  14 inches tall
It's a darker green, not a bright green. 14 inches tall
k.jpg (116.98 KiB) Viewed 421 times
greenhouse raised, frost not an issue
greenhouse raised, frost not an issue
l.jpg (83.42 KiB) Viewed 421 times
8)
Steve Johnson

Re: C senilis offset or flower bud

Post by Steve Johnson »

cactushobbyman wrote:I was cleaning the back shelf of the greenhouse and saw this growth. I know it is rare to have this plant flower other than habitat, but it is either an offset or a bud. The growth tip is not the kind of nice green you like to see, but the hairs still have nice color. Time will tell. :-k
I believe the species offsets from the base, so do you have a bud there? I agree with you about the rarity of seeing Cephalocereus senilis in flower under cultivation, but perhaps you're about to get lucky. Unless I'm missing something, darker green skin color on the plant's crown would indicate that's it's a healthy response to a nice new development. Keep an eye on this one and let us know how it's going.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)