clestocactus strausii rot Help!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CarefreeHWY

clestocactus strausii rot Help!

Post by CarefreeHWY »

I have these two guys in a pot together, I've had them since july 2013 and have recently repotted them into the current pot. I've been noticing the larger one leaning quite a bit and noticed discolor/softness on the bottom. I'm real worried that he's done for what can I do please help! :( :(
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG (93.11 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG (83.87 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG (59.2 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
CactusFanDan

Re: clestocactus strausii rot Help!

Post by CactusFanDan »

Is it definitely rot? I can't see anything which would make me think rot, but I can't really see past the spines. Is the base soft and squishy? I'd imagine a plant of that size would've already collapsed if it was rotting from the base. :-k

The bases of old plants do shrink with time and discolouration of the spines and of the skin is fairly normal. I'd wait for other opinions before you take action. If it's spreading quickly (several inches/day), then you might want to try and cut it to save part of the plant. For now it looks okay. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
CarefreeHWY

Post by CarefreeHWY »

I can take another photo if need be, it is very soft and squishy and ive pinned it up to keep it upwards and straight :(
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CarefreeHWY wrote:I can take another photo if need be, it is very soft and squishy and ive pinned it up to keep it upwards and straight :(
Squishy isn't good, so I think you do have a case of rot there. If that's the case, time for -- surgery. Have you done it before? If the answer is no, we can help.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CarefreeHWY

Post by CarefreeHWY »

thanks for the reply steve, I have not done anything like that before. Let me know what I can do to bring this guy around :)

Also, it is winter here in canada if that makes any difference
Last edited by CarefreeHWY on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CarefreeHWY wrote:thanks for the reply steve, I have not done anything like that before. Let me know what I can do to bring this guy around :)
Okay, here we go...

1. Start by un-potting the plant, then cut out the roots and the obviously rotten part of the stem with a sharp knife.

2. Lay out the plant on a clean, soil-free piece of newspaper. Keep cutting the stem until you see nothing but healthy green tissue. Be sure to sterilize the knife with alcohol every time you cut. If rot hasn't gone up too far into the meristem, you should have plenty of healthy plant material left to re-root the cutting.

3. Dust the cut liberally with fungicidal powder. Sulfur powder is an old standard available at any nursery or garden center. The fungicidal powder has to stay on the cut as it dries out -- like we say in old movies, "keep your powder dry!"

4. Keep the plant in a dry place away from sunlight, and let the cut dry out and callous completely before you repot it. Figure on about a month, but your cactus won't die if you let it go longer.

5. Repot the cutting in fresh, dry cactus mix. You don't have to dig it in too deep, just deep enough to stabilize the stem. DO NOT water until it starts pushing out new roots. One way you'll know is if you gently pull up on the stem and it starts grabbing into the pot. Another way is to periodically look at the cut. New roots start out as stubby little white things.

6. Once you know that the cutting has a start on growing the root system, you can give the plant its first introduction to water. Better to under-water than over-water, so keep an eye on watering frequency.

I believe that Cleistocactus roots rather easily, so you shouldn't have any problems moving forward as long as you treat your plant right. From what I saw in your photos, it looks like your cactus mix is way too rich in organic materials. If that's what you've been using, no wonder you're having a rot problem now. Lean the mix out by tilting more in favor of the mineral component for free drainage. When you allow your mix to dry out properly between waterings, your cacti will thank you for it. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
CarefreeHWY

Post by CarefreeHWY »

thanks again steve, looks like I'll have to go ahead with this. One other question, I read that it isn't necessary to dip them in a rooting powder/sulphur. what are your thoughts on this
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Steve has it right, but for me, I cut many of my cutting with a good shovel, let it dry completely and I will root them in pure gravel and have them in the garden and water them when I water the garden, about every two week during the season. I use gravel because of the weight and it holds the cutting in place when the winds pick up. :)
CarefreeHWY

Post by CarefreeHWY »

Well it took a bit to get it out of the pot, seemed to be rooted with the other one. Used a new clean knife, cut a good amount back to ensure there was no rot left. I don't have any rooting powder right now though, not even sure if i can get it locally this time of year or not
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG (48.3 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG (51.44 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Thoughts? :-k
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

That's looking good. Just wait for it to scab over an dry pot it up it will be growing again in no time.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CarefreeHWY wrote:thanks again steve, looks like I'll have to go ahead with this. One other question, I read that it isn't necessary to dip them in a rooting powder/sulphur. what are your thoughts on this
The fungicidal powder is there to keep the cut from developing mold. IMO rooting hormone powder doesn't do anything, but it's not the same as sulfur powder -- totally different functions.

Looks like you did a great job on the cutting, so just be patient and let your Cleistocactus do the rest. Hopefully you'll see some nice progress before too long, and let us know about how the results of your surgery work out over the growing season.
CarefreeHWY

Post by CarefreeHWY »

What are the sorts of things I should look for, what sort of color does it turn/what does it look like? what shouldn't it look like? It's turning brownish around the center now.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

The cut looks good. It might discolour a bit, but it's sort of in the same way that an apple goes brown when you cut into it due to exposure to oxygen. Also, it probably means that you bruised the tissue a bit when cutting it. I think you used a serrated knife? A sharp single edged knife (or even better, a razor blade or craft knife) is better since it slices the flesh cleanly, but it should be fine. :P Keep the cutting somewhere cool, dry and well ventilated.
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog
CarefreeHWY

Post by CarefreeHWY »

CactusFanDan wrote:The cut looks good. It might discolour a bit, but it's sort of in the same way that an apple goes brown when you cut into it due to exposure to oxygen. Also, it probably means that you bruised the tissue a bit when cutting it. I think you used a serrated knife? A sharp single edged knife (or even better, a razor blade or craft knife) is better since it slices the flesh cleanly, but it should be fine. :P Keep the cutting somewhere cool, dry and well ventilated.
Yes I used a serrated knife, this is what it looks like so far, a bit of brown,
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG (53.71 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
also this is the other guy that was in the pot with the one I had to cut, I decided to take him out, clean the roots off and put 'cactus soil' in the pot mixed with some small pebbles. some spots were fairly damp in the old soil, and maybe i'm being a bit paranoid but it looks a bit discolored near the bottom.. Here is a photo, is it suppose to look like this?
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG (85.34 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

with new soil,
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG (85.73 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
:-k
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Hmm that cut surface doesn't look too hot, but I'm sure it'll be fine. It looks dry, which is good.

I'd say your other plant looks like a rooted cutting. :P The discolouration is probably fine.
-Dan
Happy growing!

My C&S blog