Espostoa rot

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cactushobbyman

Espostoa rot

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have several of these in my outside garden and with the heavy soil conditions, rot does take its toll. I'm very tempted to dig the rest up and move them to the greenhouse.
1.jpg
1.jpg (136.47 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (141.17 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
I will let it dry for several weeks and repot it, its new home will be in the greenhouse.

8)
adetheproducer

Re: Espostoa rot

Post by adetheproducer »

I would be tempted to cut a little more off that, it still looks worringly brown. Cut it back untill is nice and green.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I've lost 3 or 4 good-sized (Lowe's) seedlings on the front porch - even with clay pots. Rescued one from rot as a cutting, then lost that the next year. I love them, but (for me, in pots) they've been tough. Same with Oreocereus - trolli & celsianus! Have a bunch of 1 1/2" seedling tho -- we'll see if we can get any of them to 6" :lol:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

adetheproducer wrote:I would be tempted to cut a little more off that, it still looks worringly brown. Cut it back untill is nice and green.

I saw that. I think I'll let it be and see how it dries. The greenhouse gets over 100 degrees everyday, so if it starts to look bad, I'll cut more off. :D
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You should build a raised bed for your cacti, for better drainage.
Spence :mrgreen:
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

greenknight wrote:You should build a raised bed for your cacti, for better drainage.
I have thought about that, but the outside garden is so large and spread out, cost would be overwhelming. I have two others next to the one that rotted and they are doing fine. Who knows, maybe it just wanted to be moved into the greenhouse. :lol:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Doesn't have to be fancy, just a simple mound. Order a load of fine gravel or builder's sand - whatever they've got that looks like it would work good - and have it dumped in a pile. Spread a thin layer of compost over it, scratch it in with a rake, and plant cacti in it. Bet they'd do great.
Spence :mrgreen:
CarefreeHWY

Post by CarefreeHWY »

I posted a similar problem with mine, Wondering if I'll have to end up cutting mine as well or maybe it will come back? I don't know too much about cutting as I've never done it before :(
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

CarefreeHWY wrote:I posted a similar problem with mine, Wondering if I'll have to end up cutting mine as well or maybe it will come back? I don't know too much about cutting as I've never done it before :(
It's like chopping a cucumber, except spikier. :)

For some reason young Espostoas seem to be quite rot prone and I have no idea why. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Ditto, except mine was a espostoopsis. I bought 4 in a pot together all in wet soggy peat clogging the roots. I was a bit hesitant with the first root cleaning, worried about damaging the fine roots, I'm more used to thick tap roots like lophs. Too much peat left on and it stayed soggy after its first drop when we had some sun, it was growing so I thought a light spray would be ok. I was clearly wrong. I gave the roots a proper clean a few weeks later when putting in a permanent pot but it was too late and one rotted completely. There is one that has started to go soft but the biggest two seem fine.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

CarefreeHWY wrote:I posted a similar problem with mine, Wondering if I'll have to end up cutting mine as well or maybe it will come back? I don't know too much about cutting as I've never done it before :(
You can make small cuts until you see all green. Then let it dry for several weeks or months, and re-pot. I'm thinking 3 weeks for me, we are starting spring early here. :)