Phantom Plant Eater

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Tiggy

Re: Phantom Plant Eater

Post by Tiggy »

Thank you for that info. "btb." Very interesting and I have taken note. I too am of the same opinion regarding grasshopper as we have an out-building near the house which as a rule becomes invaded by crickets during the winter months, and this thought suddenly struck us today whilst discussing what it could be in the greenhouse. It would also explain as you pointed out the irregular choice of plants rather than just continuing it's rampage from one to another nearby. As the crickets are brown they would also be well camouflaged in such environment. Anyway, the good news of the day is: No sign of damage or of it's presence today. The two plants in the photos were kept in the house in order that I could keep checking on them in case something was lurking in the pots, but nothing! I didn't re-vase them as I didn't see the point of disturbing them at this time unless absolutely necessary as they have already gone through enough for now. If I see any more signs on them then I will do it. No signs of anything in the greenhouse either today. I checked on all levels and all seems in order for the moment. So the mystery continues :-k I think I will keep these two in the house now until spring time, (there must be a spot somewhere for them :-k ) Thank you all so much for your advice it has been a help to have shared this problem, even if it may not yet be resolved fully. Time only will tell.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

Glad to help. Hope you remain frass-free.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

So do I and thanks again.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Sue - my 1st thought (w/o) the pics was mouse, but that's almost certainly caterpillar poo!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Whatever it was I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since I removed the three plants that had been attacked from the greenhouse. Strange though. :-k Not that I am complaining mind you. :D

Susi
Nature Lover
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Sending a new topic was useless, I think it's better send a reply here.
Exactly the same time when Susi had the 'phantom of the greenhouse', I had mine too.
I'm pretty sure my phantom was a caterpillar, because those days were warm and I have seen caterpillars on my roses too.
Isn't the right season for grasshoppers, we only can see them in summertime.
The caterpillar ate this Rebutia (I had to cut the top in august due to a rot) and a Brasiliopuntia leaf.
But, my question is: will my poor Rebutia fiebrigii survive to this wound? I have removed it from the greenhouse now.
Thank you for any advice.

http://goo.gl/Z7peX3?gdriveurl
-Micci
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Micaela - Never would have thought that! Wound looks "clean", probably will be OK, but might be a little "vulnerable" there, & I'd make sure no H20 "puddles" there.
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Hi hoteidoc,
So do you think my R. is 'safe'? Really?
I have moved it inside, 'cause I'm scared of cold temperatures, I'll place it outsidr again in Springtime.
Ok, no water inside the wound. When it could be necessary to water the R.? Maybe in May?
Thank you for your reply :)
-Micci
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Same time as your other cacti start showing signs of life -- don't know which part of Italy you're in, but whenever things start to warm up. Iann or Tiggy or other Euro's would know :-k
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

I live in Abruzzo, a central Italy region, in Roseto Degli Abruzzi a town 200 km east of Rome. My home is near the Adriatic sea (about 500 meters), so we haven't very low temperatures, but I think it's better waiting for the springtime, before placing outside this Rebutia..
Thank you for your help hoteidoc :)
-Micci
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, it should be fine. Must have been a monster caterpillar to make such big holes. Reminds me of slug or snail damage, but you should have seen slime trails in that case.
Spence :mrgreen:
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Hi greenknight,
In effect I have seen slime trails and found a snail on my Brasiliopuntia, but no slime trails on my Rebutia. The R. and its pot are so small...could the snail have eaten my R. not leaving any tracks? :-k .
I have seen neither caterpillars inside my greenhouse, nor slime trails on the Rebutia, after all I have seen a lot of caterpillars on my roses and geraniums, that's why I've blamed on those little green eaters.
But now you've reminded me that little snail attached on the Brasiliopuntia pot..... :-k :-k :-k
Oh well the important thing is that my R. will be fine even with that hole.
Last question: if the Rebutia now is obviously vulnerable, how can I protect it from another snail/caterpillar attack in spring/summer ? :confused1:
-Micci
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I should mention that Rebutias actually bloom best if they're exposed to cool temperatures, they can even stand a light frost.

Snails and slugs are sneaky, they come out at night to feed and hide during the day. You can control them by hunting them at night, trapping them with beer, repelling them with a barrier of some gritty substance (diatomaceous earth is effective as long as it stays dry, would probably stop caterpillars, too). There's also a non-toxic bait containing iron phosphate - wrecks their digestion so they stop feeding, crawl off somewhere and die. Or, if you can get a toad to take up residence...
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

greenknight wrote:I should mention that Rebutias actually bloom best if they're exposed to cool temperatures, they can even stand a light frost.

Snails and slugs are sneaky, they come out at night to feed and hide during the day. You can control them by hunting them at night, trapping them with beer, repelling them with a barrier of some gritty substance (diatomaceous earth is effective as long as it stays dry, would probably stop caterpillars, too). There's also a non-toxic bait containing iron phosphate - wrecks their digestion so they stop feeding, crawl off somewhere and die. Or, if you can get a toad to take up residence...
Mmmmh good to know! I'll get diatomaceous earth then. I already have toads here..hahaha last spring we had about 47 new lil' toads :mrgreen: LOL But I think they aren't interested to the resident snails and caterpillars, or maybe there are too much of those 'eaters'.
Thank you for the advice!
-Micci
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Need big toads to eat the big snails. You can encourage them to hang around where you need them by providing them shelters: http://frugalliving.about.com/od/garden ... -House.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;