HELP HELP. Sick cactus...hoping not to lose the whole plant!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
whtroze5

HELP HELP. Sick cactus...hoping not to lose the whole plant!

Post by whtroze5 »

Hi all....I am new to this forum, but am a cactus lover for many years. Currently I have 6 cacti. All must be kept indoor in pots due to I live in Wisconsin and the weather isn't great for them often. Anyway, on to my problem:

About 3 months ago I noticed my cactus Silkie the 2nd (yes I name them...hehe) sprouted a bud right smack on it top. I was so excited to see it grow and couldn't wait to see if it was gonna be a new pad or a flower. Time went on and the bud got bigger and then started to flatten, confirming it's a new pad. I was so excited!! All was going great up till about a week ago. The pad suddenly appeared to stop growing. Then I noticed it started to look sunken in. Watering small amounts a couple times a day and adding cacti nutrients (mix with the water) seemed to help at first. But now the sunken look is back and it is starting to curl in on itself and browning on the tip. It is dying!!!

I don't know what to do. I am fearful of watering too much as I don't want to get root rot. I also fear for the rest of the plant. The rest of the plant looks well and healthy. In fact another bud just showed up this week (on the side). Not sure yet if a pad or flower...time will tell. So basically my question is can the top baby pad be saved?? If not, what do I do to ensure the rest of the plant will be ok? Remove it and if so what's the best way to do it? Attached are pics...hope they help.

As for environment conditions, as stated before they are in the house. Temps are generally consistant so no huge fluxs to worry about. Humidity is usually around relative 47%. They are not next to the window, so drafts aren't an issue. They get regular indirect sun from the windows shining in the room during the day. Soil is a cacti mix. I also have rocks under the soil and above the soil to help with drainage since they are in pots. No bugs or critters near them. All other cacti are doing great....seems just this baby pad is having problems.

Thank you in advance for any advise and help offered!!!
Attachments
silkiesickpad1.jpg
silkiesickpad1.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 619 times
silkiesickpad2.jpg
silkiesickpad2.jpg (18.69 KiB) Viewed 619 times
gemhunter178

Re: HELP HELP. Sick cactus...hoping not to lose the whole pl

Post by gemhunter178 »

Looks like more sun won't hurt it and more water either: Opuntias are tough!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Remove the light green growth or put it outdoors a.s.a.p. The main pad looks completely healthy. Keeping the plant indoors under its current conditions will continue to make the new growth look sickly. It is looking for the light. Click here for more information on this condition called etiolation.
whtroze5

Post by whtroze5 »

Hi all....just wanted to thank you for your advise. I did try more sun and water and at first the baby pad did perk up some. Unfortunately it did not last and it started to "wilt" quicker and even appeared to start rotting at the top. To ensure the safety of the whole plant I took the risk and removed it at it's base. Now after a few days I am happy to report the "wound" is healing remarkably and the rest of the plant looks great. Sad that the baby pad couldn't be saved, but very happy it wasn't a total loss and the main plant can continue to live long and thrive again. Again, thank you for the advise.