C. senilis questions

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Steve Johnson

C. senilis questions

Post by Steve Johnson »

Okay, I have another one for you.

I just finished repotting a bunch of cacti in my new DG/pumice mix. The last one I did yesterday was a Cephalocereus senilis, so I'd like to ask about a few things on these photos:

Exhibit A
Cephalocereus_senilis04072012_detail.jpg
Cephalocereus_senilis04072012_detail.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
This spot looks kinda like a cigarette burn. If that's what it is, didn't come from me. I just noticed it yesterday, although it may have already been there when I first bought the plant last June. I gently poked at the spot, and it looks hard, so I don't see any signs of rot. Any thoughts about what that spot is, and could it be a potential problem? (When I repotted the C. senilis, I made sure the spot stays well above-ground, so it won't be directly exposed to moisture from watering.)

Exhibit B
Cephalocereus_senilis04082012_detail1.JPG
Cephalocereus_senilis04082012_detail1.JPG (223.32 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
A number of ribs have beige-colored lesions (if that's the right word) on the skin that are hardened. Here's an example of other places on the plant.

Exhibit C
Cephalocereus_senilis04082012_detail12.JPG
Cephalocereus_senilis04082012_detail12.JPG (244.97 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
I noticed these lesions right after I brought the C. senilis home. I had to choose one from about 5 or 6 that were on hand at my local c&s nursery, and unfortunately I should've given them a closer inspection to see if perhaps another one was lesion-free. But no take-backs there, so I have to live with my choice. Anyway, the plant (sans "hair") stands about 4 1/4" above ground, although it's about 8" top-to-toes. If the lesions are indeed sunburn damage, could it have been improper cultivation by the original grower, or is the C. senilis old enough that it's a natural occurence?

When I repotted it yesterday, it was like too many of the other cacti I had in the old cactus mix -- bad soil that left roots barely hanging on. Getting it into the new mineral mix will rebuild the roots, and I'll be giving it the proper watering/fert regimen once the plant is ready after its 2 week settling-in period. C. senilis is has become very scarce, so I realize that it would be difficult or impossible to replace it. I'd really appreciate any advice on things I should watch out for, especially if there's anything I may be overlooking in my cultivation practices. I'd like to do everything I can to keep the "old man" going for a nice, long time.

Thanks for your help!

Steve
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
tumamoc

Re: C. senilis questions

Post by tumamoc »

Could it be frost damage? It's hard to imagine that thing getting sunburned.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

tumamoc wrote:Could it be frost damage? It's hard to imagine that thing getting sunburned.
I hadn't thought about that, but it's certainly possible. Wish I knew the history on where the C. senilis came from. I purchased it at the California Cactus Center in Pasadena, so perhaps I'll give them a phone call to find out if they might be able to tell me what happened. Now I do have some doubts about sunburn on such a hairy plant -- if it was frost damage, my C. senilis won't be having that problem where I live anymore.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The plant looks to be healed and should be just fine. Probably damage from being moved around.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

daiv wrote:The plant looks to be healed and should be just fine. Probably damage from being moved around.
Thanks, daiv! I was hoping for what you said, so the "old man" will get the best care I can give it without having to stress about whether I could be adding more to those lesions.
JeffWhiteDevil

Post by JeffWhiteDevil »

I have several cacti that have similar scarring and some are a direct result from my rough handling and dumping them over. Cephalocereus senilis are being offered on eBay quite regularly. :)
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I've got a 6 ft C. senilis that suffered some pretty horrible frost damage a couple of winters back. I'm too ashamed to show any photos of it :cry: . It *may* still be alive. My only hope is that the cactus sends out an offset.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I bought a C. senillis over the internet and in the middle it was rotted. I email the seller with pictures and received full credit back. Then I cut it above the rot and below the rot. I potted the rooted end in normal potting soil,(before I learned about soil from this site) and did the same with the top end. It took months and the rooted end started to get new growth. I have not check the top end to see if it rooted. I will look this weekend and attach some pics.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I'm pleased to report that the C senilis' roots are grabbing into my DG/pumice mix. This Saturday it'll be 2 weeks since I repotted the "old man", so time for its first watering. I'm also seeing new growth on top, and I'll be interested to see what the growth rate will be by the end of summer.
cactushobbyman wrote:I bought a C. senillis over the internet and in the middle it was rotted. I email the seller with pictures and received full credit back. Then I cut it above the rot and below the rot. I potted the rooted end in normal potting soil,(before I learned about soil from this site) and did the same with the top end. It took months and the rooted end started to get new growth. I have not check the top end to see if it rooted. I will look this weekend and attach some pics.
Please let me know about how the top of your C. senilis progresses. If mine ever ends up rotting, it would be good to know the chances of success if the cutting re-roots.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

This is the rescue project of my C. senilis with rot. I am surprise the bottom part lived with so much rot and even more surprise the top part rooted. =D>

The top and bottom part in regular potting soil.
The top and bottom part in regular potting soil.
1.jpg (143.88 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
The bottom part with one year of new growth.
The bottom part with one year of new growth.
3.jpg (161.97 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
The rotted top after one year.
The rotted top after one year.
2.jpg (119.33 KiB) Viewed 1195 times

I tried to find the pictures of the plant with the rot that I emailed to receive credit, so far I can not find.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

So it can be done -- excellent! =D> indeed! Actually, I'm pretty amazed at how much new growth you got on the bottom after only a year. In case I should find myself in a similar situation, I need to ask a couple of questions about cutting the stem above the rot point.

First, I know the drill -- keep cutting until you see nothing but healthy, green flesh, then a final cut using a sterile knife. Then dust the cut with sulfur powder to prevent fungal growth and let the callous heal. Now for my questions:

1. If I remember correctly, the cut stem needs to stay in a dark, dry place until the callous has fully healed. Does a month sound about right?

2. Finally, the properly calloused stem goes into dry potting medium. When the cut is producing new growth, it's time to water. That's the sketchy part because I have essentially no experience doing this. Can new roots be indicated purely by new growth on the apex? If not, is pulling up the plant the only way you'll know if new root growth is there? That's the part which kinda scares me, because I have not a clue in Hades about how long you should leave it before you would even think about checking for new roots.

I'm adding a set of "disaster recovery" how-tos in my cultivation notes just so I don't want to lose track of this potentially valuable info. And I know we're talking about the C. senilis, but I was wondering about any experience you may have on what to do when Astrophytum asterias lose their roots. I'm trying to deal with one of those right now, so I'd certainly appreciate some insight if you've got it.

I hope nothing happens to the "old man", but if it does, nice to know that recovery is quite possible as long as I know what to do. Thank you so much!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

To me it's been pretty straight forward so far. Let it dry out untill you can see that it's callused over, small cuttings I've generally felt were right after just a week but last year I left one laying in the garage for near 2 months before I repotted it.
As for re-rooting, I just put them ontop of dry potting mix and pour some topdressing around the stem to keep it securely in the pot. Give it a gentle tog every other week to see if there's any resistance, if you can shift it easily then there's no roots. Once you can feel resistance then something has started happening and I start gently watering. I've even given gentle bottomwatering to plants where I wasn't 100% sure, not a soaking mind you but just enough to moisten the soil down the bottom of the pot. Might be wrong but I just feel it gives whatever little roots that could of formed something to reach for.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Always love a Great save, CHM! & SnowFella - glad you've been able to do the same. =D> Have a similar situation going on with a Austrocep/Espostoo. dybowsk that came in mail before the holidays with break just above neckline @ 3/4 thru. Just left it lay there to dry. Finally @ a couple of months ago made cut thru (was hoping for a "heal") & redried. Rootball/mini-stem aren't doing anything, but going to give it a chance until mid-Summer. Stem above snap got put in coarse "soil" & is showing top growth, but haven't worked up the courage to give it's first tug 8-[ . A replacement plant was sent with next order, so it's all been a good learning experience! :D
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Steve, what I do when it comes to cuttings, goes against all logic. First, the knife I use on smaller plants to make cuttings I have never cleaned. For the bigger cuts, I use a shovel. When it comes to drying, I really don’t keep track. I moved one plant and cut it in half with my shovel and the broken stems I chopped into 12 to 16 inch long pieces. I put them on the shelf of my greenhouse and they stayed there until I found gallon pots that were on sale. The cuttings could have been there for months, I just don’t know. 16 in all and all are now rooted and showing signs of growth. The soil was just course sand I had in a bag in the storage shed. Root hormones: I tried it in the 80’s and didn’t see a big difference so why bother. I potted the cuttings in fall and may have water 3 times during the winter. Not much help I know. :idea: I did post months ago a question if cactus can change to the environment. My area, environment and methods lead me to believe that if you just do as little as possible the cactus will do the work for you. I’m attaching a few pictures of cactus that have rooted and I did nothing. I left the plant cutting there and said to myself “I’ll go back and clean up later.” By the time I came back the cutting rooted. If you look at “Plant Swap” that I posted, the one with an old wooden box, I left a cutting in there when I don’t know and now it has rooted. Last, if I do move them now, I’ll have to pot them. Maybe I’ll come back later and do that. :lol:

Well rooted and growing.
Well rooted and growing.
1.jpg (213.23 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

Mother plant was moved, my tree grew too much, I can make 13 cuttings and more are budding
Mother plant was moved, my tree grew too much, I can make 13 cuttings and more are budding
2.jpg (214.72 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

Yes they are well rooted.  I'll come back later and clean this up.
Yes they are well rooted. I'll come back later and clean this up.
3.jpg (204.13 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

I posted "Clean Up" about a month ago, what I trimmed off is now rooting.  The dark soil on pad is roots.
I posted "Clean Up" about a month ago, what I trimmed off is now rooting. The dark soil on pad is roots.
4.jpg (165.4 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

It is such a good thing these plants don't read all the stuff we write about them :lol: Way to stick with the K.I.S.S. principle, CHM! =D>
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!