A question about Lithops/Mesembs pollination

Create seed of your own
mmcavall

A question about Lithops/Mesembs pollination

Post by mmcavall »

Are Lithops easy to pollinate? Do they self-pollinate or they need cross-pollination? It is possible to make crosses between different species?

Are the answers to these questions, in general, similar to other Mesembs?

The only Mesemb I have tried to pollinate is Faucaria, and I found it very easy (although I did'nt sowed yet to verify seeds viability). Is by chance Faucaria amongst the easiest Mesembs to flower and pollinate?

Thanks in advance, the answers may help me prepare my next Mesembs seeds purchase.
miss_taken_identity

Re: A question about Lithops/Mesembs pollination

Post by miss_taken_identity »

From what I've read lithops are not self fertile and need the same species but different genome in order to procreate - however some people have had success with crossbreeding but from what i read it doesn't seem very often.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

I had flowers on my Lithops first time ever and all I did was pollinate. I now do have some capsules. But I have no idea what they will be and probably won't for a few years.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks Miss_taken and Ivan for your replies. That gave me some clues. Hope some day I have flowers...but for now I dont have even the plants! Preparing to order some seeds.

Ivan: how many years it took from seed to blooming?

thanks
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

I didn't grow these from seed so I can't tell you that. I do have some growing from seed but they are no where near flowering yet.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's said to take 3 to 4 years - I planted some for the first time last year, so I don't know from experience.
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks Spence and Ivan.

I found some info here: http://www.conos-paradise.com/en/cultivation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Lithops grown slowly under maximum light will flower for the first time at three years of age. One can do it within one year but there is little chance to get them through the next winter. One can easily make his own seeds. If you like surprise let insects do the job. If you like it true to type keep insects away and take a paint brush (a different one for any item please!). Most any Lithops can be crossed within any other one and insects do not care at all."