cross pollination lithops

Create seed of your own
KittieKAT

cross pollination lithops

Post by KittieKAT »

I luckily had two lithops in bloom at about the same time one wasn't as beautiful as they other flower but the stamen was perfect shape, so i used the flower on the lithops dinteri ssp. Brevis to pollinate the lithops Julii ....hopefully i did it correctly...time will tell i guess, if the flower doesn't die right away should i try to collect more pollen to tickle the stamen on they other plant again? Or does it take time?
I used a q-tip and my finger and the i actually touched the flower to they other plants flower to try an ensure it was thoroughly coated. Any tips or suggestions about how i can do it better next time? I still got flowers emergin . This late in autumn...idk why!?! Anyone have any picture slides showing directions on how to do the process, would be great an welcome!
Attachments
L. Dinterii. Ssp. Brevis
L. Dinterii. Ssp. Brevis
1416948498358.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Brunãozinho

Re: cross pollination lithops

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hey Kat, if it doesn't work, you can try to freeze polen and try it again some other time. Craig Fry has explained some tips about freezing polen here in the forum, just do a search and you will find something. I guess few people come to the Pollination section of this forum and therefore you have less responses here, that is a pitty.
Bruno
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea, most people just read the posts but never reply i guess, since my photo got 22 views but no response, the flower is now closed it closed slowly soo not sure if that's a good sign or if i just fussed with it too much, the other flower was kinda distorted because lack of Sun but i managed to get pollen all over it, but it didn't seem to have much pollen to offer for the nice looking flowered lithop, the distorted flower looks like it's dead Soo either i killed it trying to pollinate it, or i did something right...time will tell i guess. Still got a few buds about to pop-up so maybe I'll try again with those, thanks for your reply
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Yes, keep trying Kat, I will keep fingers crossed.
Bruno
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Don't think it worked, So I'll.have to try again when they next late buds pop up, or can i cross pollinate a lithop and a baby toes together :)
Or a Titan and a baby toes lol?