Possible intergenus pollination.

Create seed of your own
SnowFella

Possible intergenus pollination.

Post by SnowFella »

Did alittle experiment here the other day as I had 2 flowers from different genus open at the same time and it looks like something might be happening.
Likely a longshot that won't work as one is a Disocactus hybrid and the other a E. subdenudata :lol:
All other flowers on the Disocactus has shriveled and fallen off this one though stays connected and is starting to plump up at the base, looking like there's a fruit in the making. :shock:

Going to be very interesting to see where it goes from here!
iann

Post by iann »

Usually this means you self-pollinated. There are no end of unusual "hybrids" offered up each year, nearly all of which are selfed plants. You sometimes get extremely weak seedlings which is often a sign that there was an actual cross. I think I have a cross of a Cintia with, I think, a Rebutia but it is so weak that I can hardly keep it alive.
--ian
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

That would most definately be a possibility, weird thing is though that I've tried several times to self this plant without any luck. This however seems to of taken instantly on the first attempt.
Oh well, just got to wait and see what it does.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Discocacti (well the ones i've grown) will push the fruit up thru the cephalium only about half way. They still stay pretty well attached even after they've dried and the seeds are spilling out. Just an FYI if you're tugging on it to check ripeness ;)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Disocactus :wink:

Here's the 2 possible parents if what's foring is a fruit and unless the Disocactus self pollinated when I ticked it with the Echinopsis pollen.

Comparison between a "normal" spent flowerstem and the fruit I believe is forming, first normal and second the believed fruit.
ImageImage
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

lol...doh! :oops:
iann

Post by iann »

So close, Darryl ;)
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

The folks that give these things names are just sitting back and laughing hysterically. :lol:
Yes, that looks like a fruit forming to me to.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
SnowFella

Re: Possible intergenus pollination.

Post by SnowFella »

Finally got around to updating this as I harvested the fruit today, picked out all the seeds, dried them and sowed in a baggie.

Fruit as it looked in April, never really looked any riper than this.

Today after picking it off the stem, mother plant unfortunately seem like it's on it way to die so I had to act. Luckily I have a few rooted cuttings of it growing happily.

And the seed harvest.

Going to be very interesting to see if they germinate and what grows if they do.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Here's to successful germination and interresting hybrids :cheers: .
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

What ever happened to this SnowFella? Anything? Did they germinate? What do they look like?
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Robb

Post by Robb »

paulzie32 wrote:What ever happened to this SnowFella? Anything? Did they germinate? What do they look like?
PLEASE TELL ME!!Image
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.