Pereskiopsis on Opuntia subulata monstrose

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
blossfeldia

Post by blossfeldia »

The Opuntia compressa with offset was later on detached and growing on its own root. The offset freely characteristic stopped abruptly, although I didn't take the photo of the resulting plant. This is my limited experience with O.subulata monstrose. With such limited sample size, my experiment may not be representative on the ability O.subulata monstrose or its infectious capibilites.

I hope others can continue in exploring the possibility of O. subulata monstrose, or even MLO in cactus growing.
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Well this is very interesting! If the infection is passed onto the cion, i wonder what the O.Compressa monacantha varieties would do if grafted on Subulata.
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
stanislas

Post by stanislas »

The 'infected' alias 'monstrose' Pereskiopsis plant has now started to grow on it's own roots. It looks like it might change back to normal, although it's too early to tell for sure. I'll keep you all updated.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

here is a montrose pereskiopsis:
http://www.kaktusy.com.pl/pliki/monstru ... ge0034.jpg
i wonder if it was created by grafting onto o.subulata monstrose! or was just randomly infected with the mycoplasma-like organism by some unknown means. it really looks like it has MLO

and here is a monstrose pterocactus tuberosus:
http://www.kaktusy.com.pl/pliki/monstru ... ge0037.jpg
grafted to pereskiopsis, possibly that above which is infected with MLO and had offsets removed. i find it iteresting that this monstrose pterocactus is very similar to that created by cactusbutt on O.subulata monstrose.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8235,
blossfeldia

Post by blossfeldia »

stanislas wrote:The 'infected' alias 'monstrose' Pereskiopsis plant has now started to grow on it's own roots. It looks like it might change back to normal, although it's too early to tell for sure. I'll keep you all updated.
Stanislas, how is it doing now? :) just curious about your experiment result. :wink:
stanislas

Post by stanislas »

Well, the 'infected' alias monstrose Pereskiopsis did not revert back to it's former state and rather started to grow like a christmas-tree. After A while i 'commissioned' the plant and let it go, so to speak. Although I played with the idea to fed it some antibiotics and see if that cures the poor thing.
I wonder how well one can get other species to become monstrous. I mean non-opuntia/pereskiopsis species.
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

Interesting! This could prove the theory that the MLO stays in the scion, even after desgrafting.

It would be interesting to try with Astrophytum, for example.

Regards
Alex
snarfie

Re: Pereskiopsis on Opuntia subulata monstrose

Post by snarfie »

interesting topic. has anyone experimented with this any further?
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Very interesting. Wonder what kind of effect would occur if the infected pereskiopsis were used as a stock for a naturally caespitose cactus, super-clusters perhaps.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

i've ordered some pereskiopsis from poland, and when they're here, i'll also get a o. subulata monstrose, and try to get a pereskiopsis with MLO, because pereskiopsis can be used to graft other cacti on, like astrophytum, that doesn't seem compatible with o.subulata monstrose. i also have yellow chamacereus silvestrii with pups, so maybe try that on o. subulata as well, and selenicereus grandiflorus, from the university botanical garden nearby. maybe i can get some rarer cacti cuttings to experiment with as well.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

snarfie wrote:i've ordered some pereskiopsis from poland, and when they're here, i'll also get a o. subulata monstrose, and try to get a pereskiopsis with MLO, because pereskiopsis can be used to graft other cacti on, like astrophytum, that doesn't seem compatible with o.subulata monstrose. i also have yellow chamacereus silvestrii with pups, so maybe try that on o. subulata as well, and selenicereus grandiflorus, from the university botanical garden nearby. maybe i can get some rarer cacti cuttings to experiment with as well.
Should try a lophophora williamsii caespitosa that could work well or maybe a rebutia of some sort.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

why? that species pup a lot even if they're not couraged to do that. is it to see if it also works with these?
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

yes, they've arrived. waiting for the first to start growing, then i'll graft it on an o. subulata monstrose. they are in water now to recover from the trip.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

my try on grafting pereskiopsis on o. subulata monstruosa. they still look good, did them monday morning.

snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I wonder how the MLO works, would it be that it makes the cells produce hormones that make the plant use all of its growth points, or would it block the making of the hormones that are regulating the apical domination(this seems most likely to me) or would it be something else?