Pereskiopsis on Opuntia subulata monstrose

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Re: Pereskiopsis on Opuntia subulata monstrose

Post by HP22B »

I'd assume something in the signaling pathway for new growth determination is getting jumbled around. As you said, something could either be promoting growth at typically unused growth points, or something could be inhibiting the wild type inhibitors of branching/joint growth. This frequently happens during early development when it comes to genetic variation in animals, so I'd put my money on the same thing for this type of plant.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Interesting. Have you ever tried something like this? Oh, and by the way, it seems like my earlier graft has taken :) pereskiopsis on o. Subulata monstruosa, three weeks now, still firm and nice callousing. Looks like it is going to grow
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

I'm still new to grafting but I'd love to try if I can get my hands on the original monstrose stock. I also have the resources for some mild genetic analysis so I would be interested to fingerprint the wild type and monstrose species to scope out some differences to see what I can find.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Yeah, sounds interesting. I have both the monstrose and the normal form of o. Subulata.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
YusufCYL

Post by YusufCYL »

am new in cactus grafting, i wish to try to use Pereskiopsis Spathulata as the root stock

however, i can not find the Pereskiopsis Spathulata in my country (Malaysia) although i have searched it in the nursery.

i found this plant is sold in certain online shop in oversea (UK, US), but i am not afford for the price and the shipping cost. Furthermore, i do not have a credit card to pay (i am a student).

Do you know anybody in Malaysia have Pereskiopsis Spathulata? or any cheaper source for Pereskiopsis Spathulata?

thank you very much
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

First graft was not properly aligned with the vascular bundles i think, but the first graft is now growing very slow(only the leaftops can be seen). In these photo's is the second graft, and it is definately growing(grafted it a month ago, and it already caught up with the first graft), so when spring arrives they will probably start growing a lot faster, and then i have three infected pereskiopsis instead of one :P
And then i will start experimenting.
Attachments
20150221_103548-1.jpg
20150221_103548-1.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
20150221_103748.jpg
20150221_103748.jpg (36.61 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
Raver Buddy

Post by Raver Buddy »

Hey Snarfie how did your grafts go? Did the Pesky grafts (Pereskiopsis) grow with the weird monstrose growth pattern or just regular growth pattern?
Raver Buddy

Post by Raver Buddy »

Can anyone help with tips and on how to tell the difference beween "Opuntia subulata mostrose" and normal non-monstrose "Opuntia subulata"? Any photos or pics from the internet would be most helpful. I'm trying to buy the monstrose version you guys are experimenting with to try myself with grafts but so far I am not sure if the ones for sale here in Australia are actually all normal non-monstrose "Opuntia subulata" or the monstrose version.

If anyone can help with identifying if these are monstrose or not, here are some images of the two ones I've seen for sale here:
This one is listed as monstrose version by the seller. Is this accurate?

This one is listed as just Opuntia subulata. Is this the regular non-monstrose version?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Raver Buddy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:38 pm Hey Snarfie how did your grafts go? Did the Pesky grafts (Pereskiopsis) grow with the weird monstrose growth pattern or just regular growth pattern?
It's always a good idea to check the date of threads.
Anw both plants you posted are not monstrose. The monstrose version is a dwarf. The stems are smooth and not tuberculate (see photos of normal) and the leaves are shorter and smaller. The monstrose will produce pups from almost all the areoles except the top. Mine are a bit hardgrown so they don't show these characteristics much
Here is the normal:
20190414_210903-1024x1365.jpg
20190414_210903-1024x1365.jpg (119.79 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Here is the monstrose:
20190414_210848-1024x1365.jpg
20190414_210848-1024x1365.jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Raver Buddy

Post by Raver Buddy »

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm glad I didn't buy the wrong one off eBay. Now that I know what I'm looking for I will see if I can get one from a local seller that sells cacti at a conference here coming up soon! :)
Shane

Post by Shane »

I'll second wanting to hear more from the original participants in the discussion as to how their expirements turned out. I know this thread is old, but if any of you are still out there, give us an update. Especially you, snarfie
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Raver Buddy

Post by Raver Buddy »

Today I randomly came across a couple of O. Subulata Monstrose cacti while I was up the road shopping. They were for sale out the front of a small Asian grocery shop with no names or descriptions. Thanks to this forum and Ellie's comments, I spotted it right away! They were only 4 bucks each so I couldn't pass it up! Made me smile that one of them was sold potted in just a cut up plastic water bottle. I re-pot everything in my own black glazed ceramic pots anyway.

Pic attached is the two cacti I bought.

I'ts Autumn here now so I'll probably have to wait until spring for the warmer weather to graft a Pesky (Pereskiopsis) onto it. Will plan to update after I graft. Usually Oct-Nov it really starts to get into the good growing season again.
Attachments
Opuntia Subulata Monstrose - Bought 24-Apr-2019.jpg
Opuntia Subulata Monstrose - Bought 24-Apr-2019.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 4521 times