Grafting beginner

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
ElieEstephane

Grafting beginner

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello everyone
I would like to start grafting just for fun and experiments and i have a couple of questions.
1. Does opuntia ficus indica make a good stock for non "opuntoids"? It's the only cactus i have plenty of for experimenting.
2. When you graft a seedling do you cut just above the roots or just above the cotyledons?
Thank you
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Re: Grafting beginner

Post by ElieEstephane »

Mammillaria vetula gracilis grafted on opuntia ficus indica. The graft has taken but no growth is showing. Waiting for results.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

1: should work just fine for most cacti seedlings
2: i prefer to cut below the cotyledons as it usually leaves you more to work with and also a bigger scion (not a bad thing when grafting seedlings, i've had a few dry out just because they were too small)
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

snarfie wrote:1: should work just fine for most cacti seedlings
2: i prefer to cut below the cotyledons as it usually leaves you more to work with and also a bigger scion (not a bad thing when grafting seedlings, i've had a few dry out just because they were too small)
Thanks snarfie! That is most helpful!