First time grafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
TheChinski

First time grafting

Post by TheChinski »

I really wanted to try grafting and I couldn't wait to find Periskiopsis cuttings, so I went ahead and tried with some Schlumbergera stock. These pictures are three days on from grafting and are sat in a humidity chamber under lights. I was worried that the grafts wouldn't take because they are a bit thicker than the Schlumbergera, but so far they seem to have not fallen off which is good I suppose. I (unintentionally) cut all the seedlings at different heights, so it'll be interesting to see which, if any, work out. I only did three to begin with, but I might try more later. The scion are Echinopsis kermesina which are a few weeks old. How these look to your more trained eyes?

Thanks!
7george

Re: First time grafting

Post by 7george »

Everything looks clean and promising but give those grafts a week or two to be sure that bounding is good. Are your Schlumbergera cuttings rooted or not yet? You should start to open the chamber little by little ant train them to open air. Keep us informed about the progress made.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
snarfie

Re: First time grafting

Post by snarfie »

The first two look promising. The third one looks like it was cut too close to the top, might take a week longer to connect properly, or will lift on one side.
The one on my pic is a schlumbergera lutea f. bradei i grafted last year. The clade was almost too young to take, so it started lifting on one side and only started growing after three months, while the others started growing within a month. Will do 20 more grafts on schlumbergera somewhere in the next two weeks (i have 17 schlumbergera microsphaerica seedlings that need a stock, and i will probably graft some other stuff too)
Attachments
IMG_20170402_172320.jpg
IMG_20170402_172320.jpg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing