Re-grafting on Pereskiopsis

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
HP22B

Re-grafting on Pereskiopsis

Post by HP22B »

Hi all,

I recently grafted a seedling to a piece of Pereskiopsis and its growth is beginning to take off. Sadly this must have been an old stock and it is about to lose all of its leaves.

Could I cut the stock such that about 1 cm remains attached to the scion, then graft this piece of Pereskiopsis/scion to another Pereskiopsis stock (sort of making a double graft)? I'm hoping this way I could maintain a steady growth rate faster than what I would be getting from a stock with no leaves.

Thanks!
jfabiao

Re: Re-grafting on Pereskiopsis

Post by jfabiao »

If it's big enough I would just cut the top portion of the scion and regraft it. The bottom part, if there are any areoles left, will likely sprout and give you more plants to further grow or regraft.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

I would think it is easier to just regraft the seedling, as i'd expect the seedling to stop growing anyway if you're grafting because the pereskiopsis still needs to connect to the new stock, and probably takes longer to heal because it's an old stock.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

Okay I'll give it a try. The only reason I didn't do this straight away is I typically have worse luck grafting larger scions and usually do it in the first few months of germination. This scion is now about 1cm across. I suppose we'll see!