Winter grafting.

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
crispy224

Winter grafting.

Post by crispy224 »

Well I'm still getting the whole photo sizing down but I thought I would share some of my winter grafts I will be growing inside.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
This is my graft tub. Holds about 108 Pereskiopsis they are being grown in 2 in pots. I've started many seeds and I. The coming weeks will be grafting Trichocereus scopulicola, turbinincarpus alonsoi, turbinincarpus valedenzii, Lophophora caespitosa Lophophora Diffusa, Lophophora williamsii,I had a friend of mine who was nice enough to send me a variety pack of all different sorts of cactus seeds. So I'll probably have to post photos yo get them identified when they grow.
This is a Trichocereus peruvanus I grafted almost 3 months ago.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (186.71 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
And this is a Lophophora williamsii done around the same time
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
crispy224

Re: Winter grafting.

Post by crispy224 »

my Pereskiopsis seem to be growing ok.
Grafted a moon cactus pup about a week ago
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
I plant to graft 20 or 30 different cacti some time next week.
Bought another tub to place the cuttings I take when I graft next week. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to illuminate the new tub. I'm open to any suggestion. But I think it will have to be fluorescent lights.unless anyone knows of some cheap LEDs that are bright and can withstand high humidity
Robb

Post by Robb »

Great grafts! I would probably agree that fluorescent lights are the best option. You could look into LED lights ( like the ones for aquariums), but these tend to be pricey and would probably be overkill. May I ask how you water your pereskiopsis? I find it's too difficult to give mine regular watering, so I just end up sitting them in water :roll: .
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

Yes,watering is definitely a pain. Because I have to fully loft the lid off and take iut each individual plant and water. Generally I just get my spray bottle and spray each plants soil 5 or 6 times. And since its in a high humidity environment they start wet for atleast a week.
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

This graft was an old failed graft so it had sprouted a new offshoot. So I grafted to the ones offshoot then a week later to the main stem. I'll be interested to see how the growth rate is on this one
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

Well here is an update of the two headed graft the Pereskiopsis seems to be growing the scion on the newer offshoot a little faster. But I guess that's to be expected. I'll try to get some more photos to show my progress. I easily have 80+ grafts now on one rubber maid tub. With 108 Pereskiopsis growing in another tub.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 2397 times