Anyone doing butt grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
crispy224

Anyone doing butt grafts

Post by crispy224 »

By butt grafts I mean using the bottom part of the seedling as well as the top. I think some people call the invert grafts as well. I have about 4 or 5 that have taken and although they have gotten bigger they have not pupped yet. So I'm wondering if they had no areole on them will they just never grow? Or will they eventually grow an areole? Are they a waste of perfectly good Pereskiopsis? They are almost 2 months old I imagined they would of pupped by now. Anyone here use butt grafts and how long do they take to pup?
Ps I have no idea why my photos are showing up upside down
Attachments
Butt graft and regular graft from the same seedling
Butt graft and regular graft from the same seedling
image.jpg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
Onzuka

Re: Anyone doing butt grafts

Post by Onzuka »

I've tried on a few occasions, but never had any success. I don't know why that should be, I'm competent at grafting seedlings onto Pereskiopsis and moving them on later to Harrisia.

I wish you luck, but am unable to assist with your questions.

Steve
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

I will say that they do seem to fail more often. I am relatively new to grafting and maybe 2 out of 5 survive.
penker

Post by penker »

most of the time they do nothing forever
sometimes shoots form from the junction
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

O darn I was thinking two for the price of one seed as long as the graft took. I guess it only makes sense to try in rarer seedlings like albinos or variegated. I guess I'll give them one or two more months then if they don't pup I'll chop.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Will be interesting to see what happens. I've been experimenting with schlumbergera grafts lately: some grafted vertically, some grafted without vascular bundles lining up and also a schlumbergera microsphaerica grafted upside down. The upside down graft is almost a month old, but still firm.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Driller64

Post by Driller64 »

I have successfully done one, a root piece from an ario seedling. It is actually more successful than the top piece for some reason, and it is shooting out many heads.
Say no to drugs, say yes to cacti
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

I have heard that they tend to pup a whole lot more. Driller about how long did it take for yours to start growing offshoots. I have 5 that are about a month and a half old. They are nice and firm. But I fear they have no areole to sprout from :(