Never grafted before!!

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
nafeeza_ally

Never grafted before!!

Post by nafeeza_ally »

My moon cactus started dying about two months ago and I just noticed it started sprouting new growth. Is it possible to graft with this cactus and its new growth? And what exactly can I graft with? I have other types of cacti I'm just not sure of their names. Can I use any type of cactus to graft with this?
Attachments
dyingcactus.jpg
dyingcactus.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
teo

Re: Never grafted before!!

Post by teo »

This is typical when the graft dies - the stock (Hylocerus undatus) sprouts new arms that continues to grow vigorously.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

This really pleases my eyes, I detest the coloured, grafted Gymnocalyciums! Just grow and enjoy the Hylocereus, depending on where in the world you live, you might even get flowers and fruits.

Just my opinion and it may not be shared by anyone else.

Steve
TheCactusGuy

Post by TheCactusGuy »

Yes it is possible to graft onto that new shoot, I assume you know how to do so and if you don't there's plenty of info on this website. My personal favorite grafting method is weights. Also just FYI the colored cacti grafts you buy usually have a life span of about 1-3 years...
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Here my four colored gymnocalycium are on hylocereus for 6 years so far, and still growing. They don't get a lot of water, but enough light and very little fertilizer.
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing