Need some input on two grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Subverted

Need some input on two grafts

Post by Subverted »

I have had these grafts going for a few years and they are at the point where I just dont really know what to do with them for the future. Obviously...these are not the nicest looking cacti as I unfortunately dont have a greenhouse and it has really held back my plant aspirations. California's cold, wet, and inconsistent winters are murder for my cacti/succulents. Any suggestions or input for the future of these plants is greatly appreciated!

First up we have this Astrophytum caput-medusae on Hylocereus and Im not sure if I should jut leave it as is or if some other option would be better.

Second up is this variegate Eriosyce esmeraldana I produced. Its getting a bit top heavy and probably needs to be re-grafted. Are there any other options besides topping it, regrafting that, and then grafting the pups that start growing off the rest? Thinking about that stresses me right out!

esp_imaging

Re: Need some input on two grafts

Post by esp_imaging »

Subverted wrote:California's cold, wet, and inconsistent winters are murder for my cacti/succulents. Any suggestions or input for the future of these plants is greatly appreciated!
You could try moving to England if you find your SoCal climate unsatisfactory.

As for your grafts, you are in the favoured position of having options.
Assuming both are currently healthy, then the do nothing option (other than physical support so they don't topple over, for example) may be OK for a while.
As you mention, you can top and regraft the Eriosyce. So potentially you have a new graft, as well as new offsets from the old to reproduce. Seems like a good "hedge your bets" approach.
For the Asto c-m, you could always try a tubercle graft or 2 and only regraft the original once you have got a backup plant or 2 established. Or maybe even try to root the scion.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti